Faster than light speed Comunications?

In summary, if one astronaut pushes a pipe in space, the other astronaut will feel the movement a year later due to the speed of sound in the material of the pipe being much slower than the speed of light. The push would create a compression wave that would travel through the pipe at the speed of sound, and the other astronaut would only notice the movement once the wave reached them. This means that no matter how fast the push is, the compression wave will never exceed the speed of sound in that material. Additionally, if a huge steel beam were twisted quickly, the movement would cause a wave to travel through the beam and the other end would move as if it were made of licorice.
Replicant
Hello, I'm newbie to physics and relativity and I wish to know more.
I've had a question for 5 years and nobody has been able to give me a clear answer.
Here it goes!

Suppose there were 2 astronauts in space one in front of the other. There is a distance of one light year between them. Both are grabbing a pipe, or whatever solid object, which is also one light year large.(assuming that were technically possible to create an object that large...).What woud happen if one of them pushed this "pipe"? (and of course were strong enough to move it...). When would the other astronaut feel this push? a year later, instantaneously?

Regards and thank you for your answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Replicant said:
Hello, I'm newbie to physics and relativity and I wish to know more.
I've had a question for 5 years and nobody has been able to give me a clear answer.
Here it goes!

Suppose there were 2 astronauts in space one in front of the other. There is a distance of one light year between them. Both are grabbing a pipe, or whatever solid object, which is also one light year large.(assuming that were technically possible to create an object that large...).What woud happen if one of them pushed this "pipe"? (and of course were strong enough to move it...). When would the other astronaut feel this push? a year later, instantaneously?

Regards and thank you for your answers!

speed of sound in metal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

in steel it is given variously as 4500 to 5000 m/s
for convenience suppose the pipe is some material is 3000 m/s, that is slower than light by a factor of 100,000.

You ask how soon the signal would get there. The answer is it would get there in 100,000 years.

================

explanation: mechanical disturbances in a material travel at the speed of sound in the material.
no material is infinitely stiff.
when Mr A pushes on the pipe, the pipe is mushy-springy so it compresses at his end. And then the compression re-expands and compresses the pipe further on. And so a kind of compression wave travels along the pipe (at the speed of sound in the material) towards Mr B.
================

The issues of what a realistic long metal pipe would actually do, is something else. Even if it were out in intergalactic space thousands of lightyears from any other massive body, it would still be feeling its own gravity. It might tend to collapse or crush down under its own gravity. Also it would probably take a superstrong astronaut to give it a shove that could be felt, because it would be very massive. But I think the realistic issues do not matter, because it would be such a slow form of communication even if it could be realized in fantasy.

Last edited:
no, it's not that marcus, the astronaut is not knocking the pipe, it's pushing or "moving" the pipe towards the other one. when would the other one notice that movement?

Replicant said:
no, it's not that marcus, the astronaut is not knocking the pipe, it's pushing or "moving" the pipe towards the other one. when would the other one notice that movement?
marcus is correct, if you push one end of a solid object, it will create a compression wave which moves through the object at the speed of sound in its material, the other end won't accelerate until this wave reaches it. See here or here for a more detailed discussion.

Like some have said, the person on the other end would finally feel or sense that movement in the pipe for one light year divided by the velocity of the speed of sound in that specific material.

thank you for your replies!

One final question. So no matter how fast that push may be, the compression would never exceed the speed of sound through that material right?

Basically, since the speed of sound in that material dictates the maximum speed at which the particles can transmit information.

just to sum up.

Suppose that I had a huge steal beam, let's say 10KM. If I twisted it by its near end really fast I could see how a wave is turning it as if it were made of licorice until it got its far end.
It's that correct?

Replicant said:
just to sum up.

Suppose that I had a huge steal beam, let's say 10KM. If I twisted it by its near end really fast I could see how a wave is turning it as if it were made of licorice until it got its far end.
It's that correct?
Yes, assuming you twist it at a normal speed (if some force twisted it extremely fast it could just snap).

Replicant said:
One final question. So no matter how fast that push may be, the compression would never exceed the speed of sound through that material right?
You could, of course, push on it fast enough to destroy the pipe, but in that case there would be no compression wave moving forward from your finger, you'd just have your finger destroying the pipe as it moves through it.

1. How is it possible for information to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, there are theories that suggest that it may be possible to send information faster than the speed of light by using concepts such as quantum entanglement or wormholes.

2. Can faster than light communication be used for time travel?

No, faster than light communication does not necessarily mean time travel. Even if information can be transmitted faster than the speed of light, it does not mean that physical objects can travel through time. Time travel is still a highly debated and theoretical concept in science.

3. What are the potential implications of faster than light communication?

If faster than light communication is possible, it could revolutionize the way we communicate and share information. It could also have significant implications for space travel and exploration, as it would allow for faster communication between distant planets and spacecraft.

4. Are there any experiments or studies that have proven the existence of faster than light communication?

No, there have been no experiments or studies that have definitively proven the existence of faster than light communication. Most theories and ideas about this concept are still highly speculative and require further research and experimentation.

5. What are the limitations or challenges of achieving faster than light communication?

There are many challenges and limitations to achieving faster than light communication. One major challenge is finding a way to transmit information without it being distorted or garbled, as moving faster than the speed of light could potentially cause information to become scrambled. Additionally, the amount of energy required to achieve faster than light speeds is currently beyond our technological capabilities.