Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faster than Light Travel Question

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    Assuming a spacecraft had a propulsion system and sufficient fuel, what stops it from reaching the speed of light and beyond if a constant force is always being exerted on it?

And in the event that it can go beyond the speed of light, will time distortion take place, and the crew on board the ship will live for thousands of years?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
    Two things. According to Einstein no object with mass can reach the speed of light. The elementary particle photon which is responsible for the electromagnetic spectrum moves at the speed of light and have no mass. Researchers might have disproved Einstein's hypothesis but that has not been confirmed! (Check the hadron collider in CERN for more info) Time will get distorted and depends on which rate of velocity you're moving. If you were in a space shuttle moving near c your clock will tick slower than the clock will tick on Earth. I think you might can put it like this, but I am not sure:
    Sufficient high velocity = Time will go by slower.

//WeW

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's my answer to someone else's similar question:

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

FlexGunship

Gold Member

The answer that seems to satisfy most people is this:
    So, the problem is really in your question:
    There's not enough fuel in the universe to get there. You would just get closer and closer and closer until you had exhausted all the matter and energy in the universe.

"Assuming you had a perfect sphere, what prevents it from being a cube?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook