Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Calculators

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    what type of calculators do you like the best?

Fibonacci

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2005 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

Hewlett-Packard RPN calculators are my preference.

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    I'm very satisfied with my Texas Instruments Ti-84 Plus.
    Good for the simple stuff, for more complicated calculations there's always Mathematica on my laptop.

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4
    The HP 28S I bought 17 years ago has been the only calculator I ever needed and by far the best one I've ever used. I will be very sad when/if it ever dies on me.

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have, and am still using my 28c. I got my original one in the fall of '86 about 3 months before the official release to market. I was writting a calculus how do manual for HP. This was pretty much the first calculator to do symbolic algebra and calculus.

7. Apr 6, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm a great fan of the most powerful (and yet the most inefficient) computer in the whole world...the human brain

Daniel.

8. Apr 9, 2005 #7
    I think I bought my HP35 calculator back in 1973. It retailed for just over $400, but I was able to get a student discount, around $385. It was and is a wonderful instrument, but the off-on switch got a bit iffy and now the battery is gone. When I jumper a battery in, it comes back to life so maybe I'll fix it.

My HP85A computer did not fare so well. I wrote some rather original math for use in communications, finally chopped it up and gave it the deep six.

Pfft

9. Apr 9, 2005 #8

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going with a 12 years old 48S .... still running as strong as ever.

10. Apr 10, 2005 #9
    I like the HP-48. But I'd also recommend the "Sicyon" and "Excalibur" computer calculator programs. They're excellent replacements for the abomination that comes with Windows, and they're free.

11. Apr 10, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm on my fourth Sharp El581 and I'm struggling to find a better replacement for under £5.

12. Apr 10, 2005 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bought a (used) HP35 in the fall of '73 for $175, the guy I bought if from upgraded to a HP45, then a HP65. Some what later I bought a HP25 (my favorite one for size, wish I had waited till the HP25c came out), that was followed by a HP33 and HP34 and a HP71b, and finally the HP28c. Oh, yeah, living in Corvallis, where they were being manufactured, I had a friend who as an employee of HP could get insanely good prices on them. I still have the 35 stored way, and yes it still works. The 71b is also stored and working. The 28 remains my calculator of choice. Though I am tempted to get one of the newer, (not really) HPs.

13. Apr 10, 2005 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I bought my TI-36X Solar in 1987 for maybe 35 bucks. It still works and gives me the statistics I want. I leave it on the window sill for the sun to shine on and it fires up like a charm. I wish the cars and other stuff I've bought during the same time frame worked as well.

14. Apr 10, 2005 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I've been using a ti89 for about 6 years and it does everything I need. Great for games too. The best websites for Texas Instrument Calculators can be found here:

www.ticalc.org

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?