1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite Calculators

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    what type of calculators do you like the best?

Fibonacci

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2005 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

Hewlett-Packard RPN calculators are my preference.

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    I'm very satisfied with my Texas Instruments Ti-84 Plus.
    Good for the simple stuff, for more complicated calculations there's always Mathematica on my laptop.

5. Apr 6, 2005 #4
    The HP 28S I bought 17 years ago has been the only calculator I ever needed and by far the best one I've ever used. I will be very sad when/if it ever dies on me.

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have, and am still using my 28c. I got my original one in the fall of '86 about 3 months before the official release to market. I was writting a calculus how do manual for HP. This was pretty much the first calculator to do symbolic algebra and calculus.

7. Apr 6, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm a great fan of the most powerful (and yet the most inefficient) computer in the whole world...the human brain

Daniel.

8. Apr 9, 2005 #7
    I think I bought my HP35 calculator back in 1973. It retailed for just over $400, but I was able to get a student discount, around $385. It was and is a wonderful instrument, but the off-on switch got a bit iffy and now the battery is gone. When I jumper a battery in, it comes back to life so maybe I'll fix it.

My HP85A computer did not fare so well. I wrote some rather original math for use in communications, finally chopped it up and gave it the deep six.

Pfft

9. Apr 9, 2005 #8

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going with a 12 years old 48S .... still running as strong as ever.

10. Apr 10, 2005 #9
    I like the HP-48. But I'd also recommend the "Sicyon" and "Excalibur" computer calculator programs. They're excellent replacements for the abomination that comes with Windows, and they're free.

11. Apr 10, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm on my fourth Sharp El581 and I'm struggling to find a better replacement for under £5.

12. Apr 10, 2005 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bought a (used) HP35 in the fall of '73 for $175, the guy I bought if from upgraded to a HP45, then a HP65. Some what later I bought a HP25 (my favorite one for size, wish I had waited till the HP25c came out), that was followed by a HP33 and HP34 and a HP71b, and finally the HP28c. Oh, yeah, living in Corvallis, where they were being manufactured, I had a friend who as an employee of HP could get insanely good prices on them. I still have the 35 stored way, and yes it still works. The 71b is also stored and working. The 28 remains my calculator of choice. Though I am tempted to get one of the newer, (not really) HPs.

13. Apr 10, 2005 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I bought my TI-36X Solar in 1987 for maybe 35 bucks. It still works and gives me the statistics I want. I leave it on the window sill for the sun to shine on and it fires up like a charm. I wish the cars and other stuff I've bought during the same time frame worked as well.

14. Apr 10, 2005 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I've been using a ti89 for about 6 years and it does everything I need. Great for games too. The best websites for Texas Instrument Calculators can be found here:

www.ticalc.org

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?