TI-30X Pro - Decimals Rounding issue

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Sakitumi
  • Start date
In summary: The way I read, is that if you try to enter a constant with more than 47 digits, it will not take it. I would be extremely surprised if the calculator could actual do calculations on a 47-digit number.
Sakitumi
Hi guys,
I am using a Texas Instruments TI-30X Pro calculator.
I add 599,944,263.55 to 8,404,167.32 and get 608,348,430.9 instead of 608,348,430.87. It seems it rounds the decimals on its own.
What am I missing?

Thanks i advance for your answers and help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Isn't the display limited to 10 digits? In that case, then it will indeed round the result to 10 digits.

DrClaude said:
Isn't the display limited to 10 digits? In that case, then it will indeed round the result to 10 digits.

Thank you for your reply.
Now I quote from the User Manual that came with the product:

[poly solv] An entry or menu displays beyond 16 digits.

I asume it should display the result without rounding it.

I guess the limit in digits display goes beyond the 10 digit you normally find in so called market calculators.

What is the answer to ##\sqrt{3}##?

DrClaude said:
What is the answer to ##\sqrt{3}##?

Sakitumi said:
So the calculator is indeed rounding to 10 digits (##\sqrt{3} = 1.732\,050\,807\,568\,877\ldots##)

Likes Sakitumi
DrClaude said:
So the calculator is indeed rounding to 10 digits (##\sqrt{3} = 1.732\,050\,807\,568\,877\ldots##)
Then in my hundreds of millions arithmetic I should get Syntax Error or similar error considering the, I quote:

EQUATION LENGTH ERROR — An entry exceeds the digit
limits (80 for stat entries or 47 for constant entries); for
example, combining an entry with a constant that exceeds the
limit.

I am confident I am doing something wrong. I tried the same calculation on a Chinese simple calculator and it works perfectly fine. The price and brand comparison is no match and not the subject to my inquiry.

DrClaude said:

But probably you are right and the producer missed filling the "10 digit limit" information in the User's Manual.

Internally, the calculator is probably keeping more digits than the 10. After having got the result for ##\sqrt{3}##, you can multiply it by 2, and you will probably find a number ending in 5, not in 6.
Sakitumi said:
Then in my hundreds of millions arithmetic I should get Syntax Error or similar error considering the, I quote:

limit.

I am confident I am doing something wrong. I tried the same calculation on a Chinese simple calculator and it works perfectly fine. The price and brand comparison is no match and not the subject to my inquiry.
I am not sure what you are doing, but it looks like you are entering something that is too long. Check what you are actually typing on the keypad.

DrClaude said:
Internally, the calculator is probably keeping more digits than the 10. After having got the result for ##\sqrt{3}##, you can multiply it by 2, and you will probably find a number ending in 5, not in 6.

I am not sure what you are doing, but it looks like you are entering something that is too long. Check what you are actually typing on the keypad.
I quote from the User Manual:
limit.

It should display pass by the 10 digit limit, shouldn't it? Instead it rounds it.

Sakitumi said:
I quote from the User Manual:
limit.

It should display pass by the 10 digit limit, shouldn't it? Instead it rounds it.
The way I read, is that if you try to enter a constant with more than 47 digits, it will not take it. I would be extremely surprised if the calculator could actual do calculations on a 47-digit number. My guess is that internally, it must use 12-16 digits at most.

Likes Sakitumi
It uses 13 digits internally and displays 10.

Likes DrClaude
Thank you guys! I need a new calculator then.

1. What is the "TI-30X Pro - Decimals Rounding issue"?

The "TI-30X Pro - Decimals Rounding issue" refers to a known problem with the TI-30X Pro calculator where it may round decimals incorrectly, resulting in incorrect calculations.

2. How do I know if my calculator has this issue?

You can check if your calculator has this issue by performing a simple test. Enter the calculation 0.2 + 0.1 into your calculator. If the answer is 0.3, your calculator does not have the rounding issue. If the answer is 0.30000000000000004, then your calculator is affected by the issue.

3. Can this issue be fixed?

Currently, there is no way to fix the rounding issue on the TI-30X Pro calculator. However, Texas Instruments, the manufacturer of the calculator, has acknowledged the issue and has released a statement saying they are working on a solution.

4. How does this issue affect my calculations?

This issue can affect your calculations if you are working with numbers that have many decimal places. It may result in small discrepancies in your final answer, which could affect the accuracy of your calculations.

5. Is there a workaround for this issue?

One workaround for this issue is to manually round your decimals to the desired number of decimal places before entering them into the calculator. Alternatively, you can use a different calculator or a computer program for more accurate calculations.