Favorite ways to trap photons or slow down light

• Thread starter boxfullofvacuumtubes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Photons
In summary, the conversation discusses different cost-effective ways to temporarily store a photon and preserve its phase. A fiber optic cable is a cost-effective option but not practical for longer intervals due to absorption losses. The idea of using a gravity well is mentioned but deemed impractical. Some mention is made of slowing down light in gases and transparent/translucent mediums, with factors such as density and temperature playing a role. A link to an article from 2001 about trapping light is shared, with further discussion of experiments involving cooling gases and crystals to cryogenic temperatures. The question of whether there are any practical light traps at room temperature is raised.
boxfullofvacuumtubes
What are currently the best cost-effective ways to temporarily store a photon and preserve its phase? Or, at least, to slow down light? A fiber optic cable is definitely cost-effective for the latter, but not practical for intervals longer than 1µs due to absorption losses and length.

Likes hsdrop
Science news on Phys.org
My favorite way would be a gravity well, but that would neither be cost-effective or practical. I do believe that some gasses will slow photons down a bit. I just do not remember where I read or saw the experiment at. Come to think of it I think light will slow in any transparent or translucent medium. I'm thinking that it also depends on the density and temp of the medium as well.

Thank you, ZapperZ, for the link. The linked article mentions that different teams cooled their gas-based light traps to between 1 and 90 K.

https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.033601 reports an experiment that trapped laser pulses for tens of seconds (!) in a rare-earth-ion-doped crystal, but I believe they also had to cool the crystal to cryogenic temperatures.

I'm wondering if there are any light traps that would be practical at room temperatures.

1. How do you trap photons?

Photons can be trapped using a technique known as optical trapping, where a laser is used to create a small region of high intensity light. This creates a gradient force that can trap the photons and hold them in place.

2. What is the purpose of slowing down light?

Slowing down light allows scientists to study its properties and interactions with matter in more detail. It also has practical applications in areas such as telecommunications and quantum computing.

3. What are some methods for slowing down light?

There are several methods for slowing down light, including using specialized materials such as Bose-Einstein condensates or photonic crystals, as well as using electromagnetically-induced transparency or quantum interference effects.

4. Can you trap and slow down light at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to trap and slow down light simultaneously. This can be achieved using techniques such as electromagnetically-induced transparency, where the light is slowed down as it passes through a medium with a high refractive index.

5. What are the potential applications of trapping and slowing down light?

Trapping and slowing down light has many potential applications, including in quantum computing, optical data storage, and high-resolution imaging. It also has potential uses in fields such as quantum cryptography and precision metrology.