1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Favorite ways to trap photons or slow down light

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    What are currently the best cost-effective ways to temporarily store a photon and preserve its phase? Or, at least, to slow down light? A fiber optic cable is definitely cost-effective for the latter, but not practical for intervals longer than 1µs due to absorption losses and length.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2
    My favorite way would be a gravity well, but that would neither be cost-effective or practical. I do believe that some gasses will slow photons down a bit. I just do not remember where I read or saw the experiment at. Come to think of it I think light will slow in any transparent or translucent medium. I'm thinking that it also depends on the density and temp of the medium as well.

4. May 12, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. May 13, 2017 #4
    Thank you, ZapperZ, for the link. The linked article mentions that different teams cooled their gas-based light traps to between 1 and 90 K.

https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.033601 reports an experiment that trapped laser pulses for tens of seconds (!) in a rare-earth-ion-doped crystal, but I believe they also had to cool the crystal to cryogenic temperatures.

I'm wondering if there are any light traps that would be practical at room temperatures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted