Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FEMA under fire for fake news conference

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...nal/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20071027.wfemafake1027

This is a new low! :rofl: I'm still surprised Chertoff is going to do anything about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

You're doin' a hell of a job, Cherty!

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Weird, FEMA held a press conference and journalists didn't show up in time, so they had workers pose questions instead of waiting. Why didn't they state these were employees? Or just wait a bit longer?

5. Oct 27, 2007 #4

Astronuc

umm - not at FEMA :rofl:

US agency apologizes for news conference on fires :rolleyes:
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26366100.htm
    FEMA’S FAKE 'NEWS CONFERENCE' :rolleyes:
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/26/433236.aspx
    Our taxes at work. :rofl:

FEMA had given reporters about 15 minutes notice ahead of the conference.

6. Oct 27, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Nobody but GW is allowed to be so blatantly stupid. They can't allow FEMA to show up Bush, now can they.

Probably hoping that no one would notice.

That would have blown the plan. :rolleyes: What if reporters asked challenging questions?

7. Oct 27, 2007 #6

Art

It's hard to imagine the entire press corp arrived late by accident and that employees all spontaneously began asking 'gift' questions. It seems the whole thing was simply staged as a cynical PR exercise which went badly wrong when it was exposed.

Perhaps they were taking a leaf out of Chuchill's book, "History will be kind to me because I intend to write it"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  8. Oct 27, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Worse, one of the news stories I read yesterday about it said the reporters were able to call in, but if they called in by teleconference, were told they could NOT ask questions. So, even if they couldn't get there, but could call in, they were barred from asking questions. Makes me think FEMA has something more to hide here if they had to pose as reporters to ask easy questions. They would have been better off simply saying they didn't have time for questions, and would just be giving a statement to the press to get out some information and would take questions after they were done dealing with the emergency situation.

9. Oct 27, 2007 #8

Art

It's not such an uncommon practice in private industry. I know in one major corporation I worked when the president gave his annual talk half a dozen employees would have been given pre-scripted questions and they would then be 'randomly' chosen to ask those questions at the Q & A session at the end.

10. Oct 27, 2007 #9
    This isn'ta major corporation. It is the Dumb and Bungle Corp

11. Oct 28, 2007 #10

Astronuc

No - it's the biggest organized crime syndicate in the world!

RICO!

12. Oct 28, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is amazing to me is that we now live in a country that where something like this has been reduced to a human interest story.

I know... I fell asleep while reading Orwell and this has all been a dream! Yes!!! That's it.

whew...scary. Now where's my antifreeze?

13. Oct 29, 2007 #12

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And we want people like these overseeing our health care system??? Keep them away from me!

14. Oct 29, 2007 #13
    DemocracyNow! says one of the fake reporters has been promoted to be head of public affairs at the office of the Director of National Intelligence.

15. Oct 29, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

The promotion has been withdrawn since the fake news conference has been outed.

16. Oct 30, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, and they are talking about more heads rolling. That is encouraging for a change.

Too bad that heads didn't roll when Bush pulled this sort of stunt [phoney reporters], but at least we see some consequences here.

17. Oct 30, 2007 #16
    The loyal Bushies have been doing the fake news questions for years..........this is nothing new.

18. Oct 31, 2007 #17

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even the Clinton administration has done this. What newsworthy here?

19. Oct 31, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When did that happen?

20. Oct 31, 2007 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Well, whenever the Bushies do something slimy and underhanded, the stock Fox/Limbaugh retort is that Clinton did it too, did it earlier and did it more more frequently. We don't often see references, attibution, or (gasp!) actual facts, though. It will be interesting to see if administrative departments of the Clinton administration held fake news-conferences with staffers posing all the questions, and no press in attendance. Not holding my breath.

21. Oct 31, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking more of the staged war news conference and planted "reporters". This latest FEMA episode is just another straw on the back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?