Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Fermi energy Ef changes with applied electric field?

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    Hi people,

I dont understand why when we apply the electric field to the metal Ef remains the same. Ef as translation energy of electrons remains the same but we accelerate the electrons with applied electric field so the translation energy increases too? In other hand according the formula for Ef(m*,N/L^3), where m* is the effective mass depends only on material, N/L^3-number of electrons in unit volume-depends on material too. So it turns out that the Ef actually depends only on properties of the metal.

Please take a look at the attached picture.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2
    Is this an electrostatic situation?

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3
    I think there is a relationship of applied E-field and charge density - rate of change of E can be related to charge density-
    for a good discussion pl. see
    <http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee143/sp06/lectures/Semiconductor_tutorial_2.pdf> [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Mar 11, 2016 #4
    sorry but link is broken.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Mar 11, 2016 #5
    I want to know about both of them: static and not static.

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6
    When you apply the field the charges redistribute themselves so the field in the metal remains zero. The electrons are bound so are not going to accelerate off anywhere like free ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted