Fermi estimate of the week: Riemann hypothesis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
0
For those not familiar with the term Fermi estimate/problem/question see here:
http://www.vendian.org/envelope/dir0/fermi_questions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem

My question: Between the time that Riemann posed his famous question (in 1859) and now, how many hours have been expended on the problem?

Extra credit: How many hours will have been expended on the problem by the time it is solved? Assuming the Clay institute pays out its million-dollar prize at that point, what is the average prize-winnings per hour? :biggrin:
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I know pretty much nothing about it, but I like Fermi problems.

I estimate 600K hours between 1859-1900, 1.7M hours between 1901-1950, and 2.8M hours between 1950-present, making 5.1M hours

It needs another few years until I solve it (SARCASM, I PROBABLY WON'T SOLVE IT), so roughly 5.3M hours.

$1M/5.3Mhours = $0.189 per hour