Is this a valid physical analogy for the Riemann Hypothesis?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on Arxiv that claims to have a physical interpretation of the Riemann hypothesis. However, the paper is written by someone who is not a mathematician, lacks real evidence, and is deemed to be a crackpot paper. The conversation also mentions concerns about the paper's validity and accuracy, ultimately concluding that it is nonsense.
mustang19
http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.2115

I know Arxiv isn't a real journal, but this caught my eye.

Is this a meaningful physical interpretation of the Riemann hypothesis?

From what I understand, the zeta function can be modeled as a wave, but attempting to solve for the real part requires infinite recursion- thus RH is axiomatic and unprovable.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Paper not written in LaTeX? Check.
Paper making bold claim without real evidence? Check.
Bold math claim made by somebody who isn't even working as a mathematician? Check.
Paper in the "General Math" section of ArXiv? Check.

Congratulations, you're looking at a crackpot paper.

Likes mustang19, Pepper Mint, mfb and 1 other person
micromass said:
Paper not written in LaTeX? Check.
Paper making bold claim without real evidence? Check.
Bold math claim made by somebody who isn't even working as a mathematician? Check.
Paper in the "General Math" section of ArXiv? Check.

Congratulations, you're looking at a crackpot paper.
And I was wondering how a proof of undecidability of such an old conjecture could be done within only seven pages by physical means. The translation between them alone should have taken more.

fresh_42 said:
And I was wondering how a proof of undecidability of such an old conjecture could be done within only seven pages by physical means. The translation between them alone should have taken more.

Take a look at the "Important remarks" at page 6 where he proves it "in words". His entire remark pretty much is a dead give away that this person doesn't know anything about advanced mathematics.

He lost me at the very beginning as he wrote about "no closed form", "no analytical form" and "cannot be checked".
Even the Wikipedia article on it seems to be of greater accuracy. Ok the author is belarussian and not russian. But I first thought it might be someone like Perelman who isn't easy to understand either. Now I regret this thought.

I think it got clear enough that the paper is nonsense.

Likes Pepper Mint

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics. It was proposed by mathematician Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century and states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the line with a real part of 1/2.

2. What is a physical analogy for the Riemann Hypothesis?

A physical analogy for the Riemann Hypothesis is the behavior of fluids in a pipe. Just as the Riemann zeta function describes the distribution of prime numbers, the flow of fluids in a pipe is determined by the distribution of vortices. Both systems exhibit similar patterns and behaviors.

3. Is the physical analogy for the Riemann Hypothesis a valid one?

The validity of the physical analogy for the Riemann Hypothesis is a subject of debate among mathematicians. Some argue that it provides useful insights into the problem, while others argue that it is merely a coincidence and does not offer any real proof.

4. How does the physical analogy relate to the Riemann Hypothesis?

The physical analogy relates to the Riemann Hypothesis by suggesting that the distribution of prime numbers and the behavior of fluids in a pipe share similar underlying principles. This connection may provide a new perspective on the problem and potentially lead to new insights and approaches for solving it.

5. Has the physical analogy been used to make progress on the Riemann Hypothesis?

While the physical analogy has not directly led to a proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, it has been used to inspire new ideas and approaches for tackling the problem. Some mathematicians have even used fluid dynamics simulations to generate hypotheses and test them in the context of the Riemann Hypothesis.