1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Is this a valid physical analogy for the Riemann Hypothesis?

Tags:
  1. Jun 23, 2016 #1
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.2115

I know Arxiv isn't a real journal, but this caught my eye.

Is this a meaningful physical interpretation of the Riemann hypothesis?

From what I understand, the zeta function can be modeled as a wave, but attempting to solve for the real part requires infinite recursion- thus RH is axiomatic and unprovable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Paper not written in LaTeX? Check.
    Paper making bold claim without real evidence? Check.
    Bold math claim made by somebody who isn't even working as a mathematician? Check.
    Paper in the "General Math" section of ArXiv? Check.

Congratulations, you're looking at a crackpot paper.

4. Jun 24, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

And I was wondering how a proof of undecidability of such an old conjecture could be done within only seven pages by physical means. The translation between them alone should have taken more.

5. Jun 24, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Take a look at the "Important remarks" at page 6 where he proves it "in words". His entire remark pretty much is a dead give away that this person doesn't know anything about advanced mathematics.

6. Jun 24, 2016 #5

fresh_42

He lost me at the very beginning as he wrote about "no closed form", "no analytical form" and "cannot be checked".
    Even the Wikipedia article on it seems to be of greater accuracy. Ok the author is belarussian and not russian. But I first thought it might be someone like Perelman who isn't easy to understand either. Now I regret this thought.

7. Jun 24, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I think it got clear enough that the paper is nonsense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook