1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermions that can access 10 distinct energy states; Statistical Physics

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a system made of 4 quantum fermions that can access 10 distinct states respectively with energies:

En=n/10 eV with n=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

1) Write the expression for the entropy when the particles can access all states with equal probability

2) Compute the Entropy of the isolated system at energy U =1 eV

3) Compute the entropy of the isolated system at energy 1.1 eV

2. Relevant equations

Ω=G!/m!(G-m)!
    s=kBln(Ω)

3. The attempt at a solution

the first question i think is answered basically by the first equation i gave for the statistical weight because that is for indistinguishable particles with multiple occupancy not allowed. Im a little bit stuck on the 2nd and 3rd questions. The probability of finding a particle in the lowest state must be more probable than finding a particle in the highest state but the equation for the statistical weight wont take that into account. if i can be pointed in the right direction that would be awesome :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    The physical way of looking at entropy is that it's the logarithm of the number of states corresponding to a given energy. For example, when the total energy is fixed to 1eV, there's only one possible arrangement to get this: 1/10eV + 2/10eV + 3/10eV + 4/10eV = 1eV. Now it becomes just a combinatorics problem, and you only need to figure out how many such configurations there are.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    ok so because there is only 1 possible arrangement for u=1ev the statistical weight can be calculated used the equation above so

Ω= 4!/4!(1)!
    Ω=1

so s=kln(1)

then for the u=1.1 ev so the only possible state will be when 3/10 + 5/10 + 2/10 + 1/10 = 1.1 ev

so again Ω=1

s=kln (1)

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4
    Oops, I forgot about spin. If your fermions have spin 1/2, you can have two of them occupying a state with same n. Maybe you should at least mention this, if not calculate it completely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook