1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of a state containing n particles (Maxwell-Boltzmann)

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a system of particles at room temperature (use kT = 0.026 eV), the energy of a single particle state is 0.01 eV greater than its chemical potential, so that ε-μ = 0.01 eV. Computer the average occupancy of this single particle state, as well as the probability of the state containing 0, 1, or 2 particles, assuming the particles obey Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics.

2. Relevant equations
    Ztot=[itex]\frac{1}{N!}[/itex]Z1N

3. The attempt at a solution

I've already solved the first part of the problem - the part about the average occupancy, but I'm having trouble calculating the probability of a state containing n particles. I am pretty sure that it should be P(n)=[itex]\frac{1}{Z}[/itex]e[itex]^{-nε/kT}[/itex], because if we view the single particle states as the energies allowed, then if the single particle state has n particles in it, the energy of the state (total) is nε. But, I'm not really sure which Z to use here... is it Zint, Ztot, or Z1? Also, I don't know ε, just ε-μ, so I think that my expression needs to involve those variables...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Since the give a chemical potential, you are working in the grand-canonical ensemble, i.e., your distribution function is
    [tex]f(\vec{p})=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^3}\exp \left [-\beta \left (\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}-\mu \right ) \right] \quad \text{with} \quad \beta=\frac{1}{T}.[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted