QFT - Confusion about Fermi's Golden Rule & Cross-Sections

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of amplitudes, densities of states, and scattering cross sections in QFT. The issue arises with the exact form of the cross section, particularly with factors of ##2E## for the energies of the incoming and outgoing particles. The differential transition rate from Fermi's golden rule is given by a formula, but when used to calculate various differential scattering cross sections, a factor of ##2E## or ##16{ E }_{ i1 }{ E }_{ i2 }{ E }_{ f1 }{ E }_{ f2 }## is missing. This factor may appear in the calculations for ##M_{if}## and could cancel with factors in the golden rule. The
tomdodd4598
Hey there! I've recently been looking at calculating amplitudes, densities of states and scattering cross sections in QFT, but am having a little bit of trouble with the exact form of the cross section - particularly with factors of ##2E## for the energies of the incoming and outgoing particles it seems.

When I first approached the topic, my understanding was that the differential transition rate from Fermi's golden rule is given by: $$d{ \Gamma }_{ if }=2\pi { \left| { M }_{ if } \right| }^{ 2 }{ \left( 2\pi \right) }^{ 4 }{ \delta }^{ \left( 4 \right) }\left( \sum { { k }_{ f } } -\sum { { k }_{ i } } \right) \prod { \frac { { d }^{ 3 }\vec { { k }_{ f } } }{ { \left( 2\pi \right) }^{ 3 } } }$$ However, if I use this as the basis for calculating various differential scattering cross sections ##\frac { d\sigma }{ d\Omega }##, for example scattering from a potential or 2→2 scattering, I ended up being a factor of ##2E## or ##16{ E }_{ i1 }{ E }_{ i2 }{ E }_{ f1 }{ E }_{ f2 }## out, respectively.

I recalled such factors appearing in places such as the Lorentz-invariant measure ##\frac { 1 }{ 2E } \frac { { d }^{ 3 }\vec { k } }{ { \left( 2\pi \right) }^{ 3 } }##, defining 'four-momentum states' ##\left| k \right> ={ \left( 2\pi \right) }^{ 3/2 }{ \left( 2E \right) }^{ 1/2 }\left| \vec { k } \right>##, so I thought that maybe these factors of ##2E## would appear in the calculations for ##M_{ if }## (due to the state normalisation), and would cancel with factors of ##2E## in some sort of Lorentz invariant form of the golden rule above.

I guess my question is whether this is indeed the case, and if so, how to modify the formula for ##d{ \Gamma }_{ if }## to account for the new factors in ##M_{ if }##. It doesn't seem to me that one can just stick factors of ##\frac { 1 }{ 2E }## into the phase space measure, as that would not give me the correct energies (such as for 2→2 scattering, for example), though I may be wrong. As a side query, it seems the units of the matrix element can vary depending on the process being studied - is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to have a consistent set of conventions for the amplitude and the factors that ##|M_{if}|^2## is multiplied by. Different texts use different conventions.

1. What is Fermi's Golden Rule in quantum field theory?

Fermi's Golden Rule is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory that describes the transition rate between two quantum states. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another, and is based on the assumption that the system is in a stationary state.

2. How does Fermi's Golden Rule relate to cross-sections in quantum field theory?

Fermi's Golden Rule is used to calculate the cross-section of a scattering process in quantum field theory. The cross-section is a measure of the probability of a particle interacting with other particles in the system, and is proportional to the transition rate described by Fermi's Golden Rule.

3. What is the significance of cross-sections in quantum field theory?

Cross-sections play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. They provide information about the probability of interactions between particles, and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system.

4. Why is there confusion about Fermi's Golden Rule and cross-sections in quantum field theory?

There is often confusion about Fermi's Golden Rule and cross-sections in quantum field theory because they are both used to calculate probabilities in different contexts. While Fermi's Golden Rule is used to calculate transition rates between quantum states, cross-sections are used to calculate probabilities of interactions between particles. It is important to understand the differences between these concepts in order to properly apply them in calculations.

5. How can I better understand Fermi's Golden Rule and cross-sections in quantum field theory?

To better understand Fermi's Golden Rule and cross-sections in quantum field theory, it is important to have a strong foundation in quantum mechanics and field theory. It is also helpful to study specific examples and practice calculations to gain a better understanding of how these concepts are applied in different scenarios.