1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferris Wheel question (Motion in 2d)

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The Ferris wheel [...] rotates counterclockwise, is just starting up. At a given instant, a passenger on the rim of the wheel and passing through the lowest point of his circular motion is moving at 3.00 m/s and is gaining speed at a rate of 0.500 m/s^2 .

2. Find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at this instant.

3. My attempt was using: the arctan 0.64/0.5, and that yielded ~52.0° but no dice so, could someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show how you made your calculation. (Some information is missing from your problem statement.)

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    The problem: The Ferris wheel in the figure (Figure 1) , which rotates counterclockwise, is just starting up. At a given instant, a passenger on the rim of the wheel and passing through the lowest point of his circular motion is moving at 3.00 m/s and is gaining speed at a rate of 0.500 m/s^2 .

The ferris wheel's radius is 14m**** Sorry about that!!

Centripetal Acc = v^2/r
    = 9/14 m/s^2 = 0.64

Tangential Acc = 0.5 m/s^2

Magnitude of both vectors = 0.81 m/s

θ = tan^-1 (0.64/0.5) *this was wrong*

"find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at this instant"

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Ah, good.

OK, but with respect to what is that angle? How do they want the direction represented?

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    Not sure I was just testing out a method I had already practiced, probably the center of the ferris wheel?

They want it as:

θ= __° north of east

7. Feb 9, 2013 #6

Doc Al

The passenger is at the bottom. Draw a picture of the acceleration vector.

You are on the right track, you just have to express it correctly.

8. Feb 9, 2013 #7
    This is my rendition of the question, not sure if it's the correct way to solve the direction

Attached Files:

9. Feb 9, 2013 #8

Doc Al

What I have in mind is this: Put a dot where the passenger is. Then draw the vectors representing the tangential and centripetal acceleration of the passenger. Then draw their sum and see where it points.

10. Feb 9, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Technically, I think you mean tangential and radial acceleration, though in this case, since r is constant, radial and centripetal will be the same, just opposite sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook