Circular motion of a ferris wheel

In summary, the Ferris wheel in the figure is just starting up and a passenger on the rim of the wheel and passing through the lowest point of his circular motion is moving at 3.00 m/s and is gaining speed at a rate of 0.500 m/s^2. The radius of the wheel is 14.0 m.
ledhead86
circular motion ferris wheel

The Ferris wheel in the figure , which rotates counterclockwise, is just starting up. At a given instant, a passenger on the rim of the wheel and passing through the lowest point of his circular motion is moving at 3.00 m/s and is gaining speed at a rate of 0.500 m/s^2. The radius of the wheel is 14.0 m. link for pic

How do I Find the magnitude of the passenger's acceleration at this instant.

The formula arad=v^2/r does not work. How do I solve it?

How do I find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at this instant in degrees to the right of vertical?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? Help please!

[itex]\mathbf{a}_{rad}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{a}_{tan}[/itex] are perpendicular and components of the same acceleration [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex]. That is [itex]\mathbf{a}_{rad} + \mathbf{a}_{tan} = \mathbf{a}[/itex].

How do I find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at this instant in degrees to the right of vertical?
What sort of acceleration increases the magnitude of velocity?

Last edited:
still completely confused

[tex]|\mathbf{a}_c| = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]|\mathbf{a}_t| = \mbox{0,500 }m/s^2[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{a}_c + \mathbf{a}_t = \mathbf{a}[/tex]
[itex]\mathbf{a}_c[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{a}_t[/itex] are perpendicular.
What is [itex]|\mathbf{a}|[/itex]?

what? what is at, and how is that 0,500 m/s^2

Sorry, I changed the indexes :)
[itex]|\mathbf{a}_t|[/itex] is the magnitude of the tangential acceleration. That is the acceleration that changes the magnitude of velocity (you've probably noticed that in uniform circular motion the magnitude of velocity remains unchanged, even though the particle's accelerated by a centripetal force. This force only changes the direction of the particle).

Now there's tangential acceleration involved, which is tangent to the path and thus accelerates the particle along the path. This means that the magnitude of velocity changes too.
[tex]|\mathbf{a}_t| = \frac{d|\mathbf{v}|}{dt}[/tex]

EDIT: Actually the latter equation's a bit dodgy as [itex]|\mathbf{a}_t|[/itex] must be equal to or greater than 0, and [tex]\frac{d|\mathbf{v}|}{dt}[/tex] can be anything.
So, I suppose, a better way to say that would be something like
[tex]a_t = \frac{d|\mathbf{v}|}{dt}[/tex]
where [tex]\mathbf{a}_t = a_t \hat{\mathbf{t}}[/tex]

Last edited:
I drew an image for you.
I forgot there was a problem to solve :), so this one's a more general one.
http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0042uf.jpg

EDIT: [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] should be a bit more to the left (in the picture), as [itex]\mathbf{a} = \mathbf{a}_c + \mathbf{a}_t[/itex].

Sorry, for my elementary understanding, but what is d in the formula for at?
I know that ac=.643 m/s^2, but I can't figure out how to solve for at.

Ah, d's for derivatives:
[tex]a = \lim \limits_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
If you're not familiar with that, just ignore it.

I'll try a different approach:
Tangential acceleration is parallel to (tangential) velocity, which means that that is acceleration changing the magnitude of velocity. Centripetal acceleration does indeed affect the velocity, but only by turning its direction. It does not change the particle's speed (that is, the magnitude of velocity).
Thus [itex]a_t =\mbox{0,500 }m/s^2 [/itex]

Add the vectors and calculate the magnitude of the result-vector:
[tex]a = \sqrt{a_c^2 + a_t^2}[/tex]

1. How does a ferris wheel move in a circular motion?

A ferris wheel moves in a circular motion due to the forces of gravity and centripetal force. The force of gravity pulls the carts towards the center of the wheel, while the centripetal force acts in the opposite direction, keeping the carts moving in a circular path.

2. What is the relationship between the speed of a ferris wheel and its radius?

The speed of a ferris wheel is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa. This is because a larger radius requires a greater centripetal force to keep the carts moving in a circle, resulting in a higher speed.

3. Why do the passengers on a ferris wheel feel weightless at the top?

At the top of the ferris wheel, the centripetal force acting on the passengers is equal to the force of gravity pulling them downwards. This creates a feeling of weightlessness, as the passengers are not experiencing any net force on their bodies.

4. How does the height of a ferris wheel affect the centripetal force?

The height of a ferris wheel has no effect on the centripetal force. The force of gravity and the speed of the ferris wheel are the only factors that determine the centripetal force. However, a higher ferris wheel may require a higher speed to maintain a circular motion, resulting in a higher centripetal force.

5. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. However, centrifugal force is not a real force, as it is simply the result of inertia and the object's tendency to move in a straight line rather than a circular motion.