1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative Interaction

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The lagrangian is given by:
    [tex] L = \frac{1}{2} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi + \frac{\alpha}{2} \phi \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi [/tex]

And the question is to find the feynman rules.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by using the generating functional with interaction terms method, but the calculation is huge and with it I get all the feynman graphs this Lagrangian can generate. But I am just interested in deriving the rules from the Lagrangian. How can I do that? I am clearly missing something, but what?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As a start, you should rewrite that term in the momentum picture by rewriting ##\phi## in terms of its Fourier transform. You should find something of the form ##V(p_1,p_2,p_3) \phi(p_1)\phi(p_2)\phi(p_3)##, where ##V## should be appropriately symmetrized. You will be able to read off the vertex from this term.

4. Oct 31, 2015 #3
    I indeed got the vertex function.

It is: [tex] -i \alpha (p_1 p_2 + p_1 p_3 + p_2 p_3) \delta(p_1 + p_2 + p_3) [/tex].

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted