Fibonacci sequence: what's wrong here?

• Thread starter math_nerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof by induction of the equation f1+f3+f5+...+f2n-1 = f2n using the general Fibonacci sequence formula. The conversation goes on to discuss plugging in n+1 and trying to use the Fibonacci formula, but ultimately the solution is found by adding f2n+1 to both sides of the equation. The conversation also briefly mentions another example using the Fibonacci formula to prove that f3n is an even integer.
math_nerd
Given f1+f3+f5+...+f2n-1 = f2n.

Prove by induction.

So using the general Fibonacci sequence formula, Fn=Fn-1 + Fn-2 ,

I got f1+f3+...+f2n+1 = f2n+2
then using the formula, f1+f3+...+f2n+1 +f2n = f2n+2.
This ends up giving me, f2n + f2n does not equal f2n+2.

What's wrong here?

( I already proved the base case by the way).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... Can you plug 'n+1' instead of 'n' in the equation you should assume as known ?

So plug n+1 into Fibonacci equation? Did that, and got Fn+ Fn-1.
Then used this for f2n+1 on the l.h.s. To get f2n + f2n + f2n+1 on the left hand side. But this doesn't equal f2n+1 does it?

OK, let's take it this way

Make [itex] n\rightarrow n+1 [/itex] in

[tex] ...+f_{2n-3} + f_{2n-1} = f_{2n} [/itex]

and work in the LHS of the new equality only. Then compare with what you have to prove (which would have to coincide with the RHS of the new equality).

For n= n + 1, I get:

...+ f2n-1 + f2n+1 = f2n+2.
So we can state that f2n + f2n+1 = f2n+2...which is true, but my issue is why does this not work when you use the fibonacci formula?

Let me give another example, like to prove that f3n is an even integer, we can apply the formula, and it works. But in the problem stated above, it does not seem to work the same way. It only works when you add F2n+1 to both sides of the equation.

math_nerd said:
Given f1+f3+f5+...+f2n-1 = f2n.

Prove by induction.

So using the general Fibonacci sequence formula, Fn=Fn-1 + Fn-2 ,

I got f1+f3+...+f2n+1 = f2n+2
then using the formula, f1+f3+...+f2n+1 +f2n = f2n+2.
This ends up giving me, f2n + f2n does not equal f2n+2.

What's wrong here?

( I already proved the base case by the way).

Ok, so the induction step is f_1+f_3+...+f_{2n-1}+f_{2n+1}=f_{2n+2}, given that f_1+f_3+...+f_{2n-1}=f_{2n}. If you put the given in doesn't that give you f_{2n}+f_{2n+1}=f_{2n+2}? I'm really confused about what you are confused about.

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting from 0 and 1. So, the sequence goes 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, and so on.

2. What is the significance of the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence has many applications in mathematics, science, and nature. It can be found in patterns of growth in plants, animals, and even in the human body. It also has connections to the Golden Ratio, a ratio believed to be aesthetically pleasing to the human eye.

3. What is wrong with the Fibonacci sequence?

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Fibonacci sequence. However, sometimes people mistakenly believe that it can be used to predict future events or outcomes, which is not the case. It is simply a mathematical sequence with no predictive abilities.

4. Is the Fibonacci sequence infinite?

Yes, the Fibonacci sequence is infinite, as there is no limit to how many numbers can be added to the sequence. However, in practical applications, we typically only use a certain number of terms in the sequence.

5. Can the Fibonacci sequence be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the Fibonacci sequence has been applied to various real-life situations, such as predicting population growth, analyzing stock market trends, and designing efficient computer algorithms. However, it should be noted that it is not a foolproof method and should be used with caution.