1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sierpinskis Gasket - Linear Algebra

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Where
    :- ∆0 = ∆ is the original triangle ABC.
    :- DEF are the midpoints of AB, BC, AC respectively.
    :- f1, f2, f3 map the triangular region ABC to the triangular region ADF, DBE and FEC respectively.
    :- ∆n+1 = f1(∆n) ∪ f2(∆n) ∪ f3(∆n) for n≥0.

(these are just definitions of Sierpinskis gasket)

1. We need to first sketch ∆1 and ∆2 and prove that ∆n+1 ⊆ ∆n for all n ≥ 0.

We then define S = intersection of ∆n from n=1 to ∞.

2. We then need to prove that S is non-empty and that S = f1(S) ∪ f2(S) ∪ f3(S).

2. Relevant equations

Given above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted 1. by using induction but did not get very far and for 2. I have proved that S ⊇ f1(S) ∪ f2(S) ∪ f3(S) but I am struggling to prove S ⊆ f1(S) ∪ f2(S) ∪ f3(S)

Thanks

Tom

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

So you basically at the n+1 step map the n-th triangle to three of its interior triangles, and leaving the middle triangle intact. Doesn't this by itself prove the inclusion, even proper inclusion.

For the intersection, take [tex]x\in S[/tex] thus for every [tex]n \geq 1[/tex] x is in delta(n), thus [tex]x\in f_1(\Delta n)\cup f_2(\Delta(n)\cup f_3(\Delta(n))[/tex] for every n>0, thus you can keep iterating it ad infinitum, thus [tex]x\in f_1(S)\cup f_2(S)\cup f_3(S) [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook