1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field at a distance caused by a ring charge

1. Jul 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2.75 mC is uniformly distributed on a ring of radius 8.5 cm. Find the electric field on the axis at (a) 1.2
    cm, (b) 3.6 cm and (c) 4.0 m from the center of the ring.

2. Relevant equations

E = (kQx)/(a^2+x^2)^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

This question really boils down to a calculator issue, operator error issue or the abyss of unknown. When I perform the calculation on two different calculators using different methods, including a graphing calculator that has memory allowing me to repeat an equation previously used and change its variables, I get a strange answer for the second part 3.6cm. It ends up larger by one order! It can't be because its further from the charge, but each time I calculate it I get an erroneous value.

a) 4.695 x 10^5 N/C
    b) 1.13 x 10^6 N/C
    c) 1.54 x 10^3 N/C

Please don't say throw out the calculator because I checked it with a 30 year old Sharp 531D and I get the same results!! I must be missing something. Anyone able to assist? Most appreciated, thanks!

20170710_174008.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure it can't be? What is the field at x = 0?

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3
    Fair point, the value at x = 0 is zero, but I think that is almost like the argument of no charge inside a hollow sphere. In this case, the center is the ring, it being just a slice of a sphere.

I am not sure it can't be, but it doesn't seem logical in the sense that as you get further from the field you should see a diminished field, as is the case for all other charges we have dealt with so far.

Have you tried the calculation?

5. Jul 10, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Only the x-component of the field survives. Suppose you had a single point charge located on the y axis at say, y = .30 m. Now consider different points on the x axis, say x = 0, x = .10 m, x = .20 m, ..., x = 1.0 m. Can you see how the x-component of the field of the point charge varies for these points?

Yes, I get your results. Since you have a graphing calculator, you might try plotting your function E(x).

6. Jul 10, 2017 #5
    Yes, the opposing sine theta portions cancel each other leaving just the cosine portion.
    I will give that a go and see if I can get it to display a graph.

That other bit you mentioned on a point charge at y - I can somewhat see what you mean, due to the circular nature of the ring, but I want to work it out later when I have some time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted