Field strength giving rise to a polarization charge of -s.cos(theta) on a cavity

In summary, Julia is stuck on Exercise 2.1 in Bleaney & Bleaney's EM textbook, where she must prove the field strength at the centre of a spherical cavity with a polarization charge of -s.cos(theta) is s/3e0. She has been able to do exercises 2.2-2.7, but is struggling with this one. She has expanded V(r) within the cavity as A.r.cos(theta) + B.r^-2.cos(theta), but is unsure about the A term and the surface charge. She asks for help and is told to check her boundary condition, as the potential outside the boundary may not be constant in 'r'. Julia then shares her thoughts on the potential outside
xn_
Hello,
I'm learning EM from Bleaney & Bleaney and got stuck on Ex2.1 (can do Ex2.2-2.7, though...) - If the polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity is -s.cos(theta), prove that the field strength at the centre is s/3e0. If I expand V(r) within the cavity as A.r.cos(theta) + B.r^-2.cos(theta), then I agree B=0 or else V(0) would be singular, but that leaves the A term and surface charge = e0Er = -e0(dV/dr) = -e0A.cos(theta) and hence A = s/e0 not s/3e0 - what am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Julia

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your boundary condition. Is that statement really true when the potential outside the boundary is not constant in 'r'?:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Check your boundary condition. Is that statement really true when the potential outside the boundary is not constant in 'r'?:wink:

I've been thinking that the potential outside the cavity (radius R) could be written Vout(r) = B_1.r.cos(theta)+B_2.r^-2.cos(theta), then, and the boundary conditions are that Vout(R)=Vin(R) which implies:
A = B_1 + B_2 R^-2
and that e0E_in,radial(R) = eE_out,radial(R) (where e is the permittivity of the medium surrounding the cavity) which implies:
-e0.A = -e(B_1 - 2B_2.R^-3)
But your reply (thanks!) suggests that I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here - am I wrong to take Vin = A.r.cos(theta) because the Vout depends on r? I see that something of the form B.r would help, but I thought each power of r had do go with a certain power of cos(theta) to make a valid spherical harmonic?
Thanks, Julia

1. What is field strength in relation to polarization charge on a cavity?

Field strength refers to the intensity of an electric or magnetic field within a given space. In the context of a cavity, it is a measure of the strength of the electric field that is present and results in the polarization charge of -s.cos(theta).

2. How is the polarization charge of -s.cos(theta) determined on a cavity?

The polarization charge of -s.cos(theta) on a cavity is determined by the strength of the electric field present within the cavity and the angle at which the field is incident upon the cavity's surface. The formula -s.cos(theta) is used to calculate the magnitude of the polarization charge.

3. What does the negative sign in front of the polarization charge (-s.cos(theta)) represent?

The negative sign in front of the polarization charge indicates that the charge is opposite in sign to the direction of the electric field. This means that the polarization charge is oriented in the opposite direction to the electric field, creating a net electric dipole moment within the cavity.

4. How does field strength affect the magnitude of the polarization charge?

The magnitude of the polarization charge is directly proportional to the field strength. This means that as the field strength increases, the magnitude of the polarization charge also increases. Conversely, as the field strength decreases, the magnitude of the polarization charge decreases.

5. Can the field strength be varied to control the polarization charge on a cavity?

Yes, the field strength can be varied by adjusting the electric field within the cavity. This can be done by changing the voltage applied to the cavity or by altering the shape and size of the cavity. By controlling the field strength, the magnitude and direction of the polarization charge can also be controlled.