Polarization Charge on the surface of a spherical cavity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
XCBRA
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The polarizatiob charge on the surface of a spherical capacitor is [tex]-\sigma_e \cos(\theta),[/tex] at a point whose radius vector from the centre makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] witha given axis Oz. Prove that the field strength at the centre is [tex]\frac{\sigma_e}{3 \epsilon_0},[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Well I not entirly sure how to approach this problem. I tried exapanding the potentials inside and outside the sphere as:
[tex]V_{in} = A_1 r \cos(\theta) + \frac{A_2}{r^2}\cos(\theta)<br /> V_{out} = B_1 r \cos(\theta) + \frac{B_2}{r^2}\cos(\theta)[/tex]

Then since [itex]V_{in} \neq \infty,[/itex] [itex]A_2 = 0 ,[/itex]

then saying that at r=R: [itex]D^{perpendicular}_{in} - D^{perpendicular}_{out} = \sigma_f[/itex] and assuming that both inside and outside have the same permitivitty then [tex]E^{radial}_{in} - E^{radial}_{out} = \frac{\sigma_f}{\epsilon_0}[/tex].[tex]A_1 + B_1 - \frac{B_1}{R^2} = \frac{\sigma_e}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

I am not entirely sure if I am aproaching this problem in the right way. Any help or advice on how to g o about solving this problem or problems like this would very much apreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
XCBRA said:

Homework Statement


The polarizatiob charge on the surface of a spherical capacitor is [tex]-\sigma_e \cos(\theta),[/tex] at a point whose radius vector from the centre makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] witha given axis Oz. Prove that the field strength at the centre is [tex]\frac{\sigma_e}{3 \epsilon_0},[/tex]

While I am sure there is some clever way to apply spherical harmonic expansion here, the problem is more straight forwardly done by just use integration. Just do a surface integral over the electric field contribution of each area element. There is clear azimuthal rotation symmetry so that you only needs to compute the [itex]z[/itex] component. [tex]E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, da}{R^2} \,,[/tex] where [itex]R[/itex] is radius of the sphere.
 
Fistly thank yo for your help. Secondly I am having trouble seeing how yuo get to this integral and then how you solve it. Am I correct in saying this is a result of Gauss' Law?

I have tried to compute the integral and i am unfortunately at a loss as to how to do this to get the desired answer:

[tex]E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, da}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int\int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, rdrd\theta}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int r dr \int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, d\theta}{R^2}[/tex]

here is where i am stuck. Do I take limits, and if so how do I determine them, I have tried taking r=R to r=0 and [itex]\theta = 0, 2\pi.[/itex]? Thank you for you help.
 
You have the wrong area element of a sphere. It should be: [itex]da = R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\varphi[/itex].

There is no variation in radial distance, so no [itex]dr[/itex].
 
Last edited:
Ah ok that makes a lot more sense, thank you for your help.