1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figuring out if subset of R2 is a subspace

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let E be the subset of R2 defined by E={(x,y)|x≥0,y[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ}. Is E a subspace of R2?

2. Relevant equations
    E={(x,y)|x≥0,y[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly have no idea where to start. Please help !!! I'm not asking for the answer per se, just a starting point

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

radou

Homework Helper

What are the conditions for a space to be a subspace of some other space? Can you apply these to find a counterexample, perhaps?

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    ahh.. So E is not closed under scalar multiplication since -k(x,y)=(-kx, -ky) and this is not an element of E

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Exactly. Note only that you have to take an element (x, y) of E where x > 0 to demonstrate that it works, since if you take an element of the form (0, y) in E, then for some k < 0 you have k(0, y) = (0, ky), which is still in E.

6. Dec 14, 2011 #5
    Thanks! I was also struggling a bit with this problem:
    Let E={(x,2x+1|x∈ℝ}, so E is a subset of R2. Is E a subspace of R2?

I said no because it is not closed under addition:
    (x,2x+1)+(y,2y+1)=(x+y,2x+1+2y+1)=(x+y,2(x+y)+2) which isn't equal to (x+y,2(x+y)+1)
    Is this correct?

7. Dec 14, 2011 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Yes. Also, it's even easier to see that (0, 0) is not in E in this case.

8. Dec 14, 2011 #7
    Oh that is much easier! Thank you so much!

9. Dec 14, 2011 #8
    Sorry, no one is replying to my other thread so I figured I would ask you one more thing here.

Let E={(2a,a)|a∈ℝ}. Let B={(b,b)|b∈ℝ}.
    Is E∪B a subspace of R2?
    What is E+B

My solution:
    E∪B={(2a,a),(b,b)|a,b∈ℝ}
    I don't know how to show if tis is a subspace of R2 or if that is the correct union

For the second part, I know that E+B = span (E∪B)
    but I don't know if I have the right union?

10. Dec 14, 2011 #9

radou

Homework Helper

A union of subspaces of a given space need not be a subspace of that space. For example, take a non-zero a in R, and let (2a, a) and (a, a) be elements of E U B. Then (2a, a) + (a, a) = (3a, 2a) is neither in E nor in B.

The sum of two subspaces is again a subspace of that space.

11. Dec 14, 2011 #10
    So, is E+B= span(EUB)=
    a(2,1)+b(1,1)=(2a,a)+(b,b)=(2a+b, a+b)?

12. Dec 14, 2011 #11

radou

Homework Helper

You have two subspaces of a space V, E and B. The span of E U B is defined to be the set of all linear combinations of elements from E U B. Let a and b be scalars, and let v1 and v2 be elements of E U B. Then av1 + bv2 is an element of E U B, and hence E U B is a subspace of V.

Correction: let v1 and v2 be elements of span(E U B) (note that v1 and v2 are linear combinations).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook