Calculating Velocity and Time of a Falling Object from a Given Height

• Thread starter openavalin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary, Jen threw a rock downward from a 52 meter high building at a speed of 18m/s. After calculations, the rock is estimated to be traveling at a speed of 31.45m/s when it hits the ground. It will take approximately 1.402 seconds for the rock to hit the ground. However, there may be discrepancies in the calculations and further assistance may be needed.
openavalin
Jen is standing on top of a 52 meter high building. She threw a rock straight downward at 18m/s.
How fast will the rock be traveling when it hits the ground?
Determine how long it will take for the ball to hit the ground?

my attempt: I got 31.45m/s as the speed of the rock and 1.402 seconds to hit the ground, but I don't think I did it right. Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show HOW you got what you got (and in future, use the homework template the way you agreed to do when you signed up for this forum).

1. How do you calculate speed?

To calculate speed, you divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance / time

2. What units are used to measure speed?

Speed can be measured in a variety of units, but the most common units are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph).

3. How do you find the time if you know the speed and distance?

If you know the speed and distance, you can find the time by rearranging the speed formula to solve for time. The formula for time is: time = distance / speed. This will give you the time in seconds. To convert to minutes, divide by 60, and to convert to hours, divide by 3600.

4. Can speed and time affect each other?

Yes, speed and time are directly related. As speed increases, time decreases and vice versa. This is known as the inversely proportional relationship between speed and time.

5. How do you calculate average speed?

To calculate average speed, you divide the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. The formula for average speed is: average speed = total distance / total time. This is useful when the speed is not constant throughout the entire journey.