Figuring out the direction of a magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
uday28fb
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Giving this graph and the given direction of the current, which quadrant(s) will have the greatest magnetic field?

It's question 6 in the practice exam: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/courses/phy2054/sum08/ps2e2sm02.pdf

All it gives is the direction of the current. I understand that the quadrant(s) will be the area where the magnetic fields reinforce each other, but how are you suppose to find the direction of the field if all you're given is the current?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
You are expected to know the magnetic field surrounding a current-carrying wire. Hint: Use the right hand rule to find its direction.

Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html#c1"

Thank it makes sense now. I was confused because the direction is either clockwise or counterclockwise. I reallise now that they both point in the same direction in B and C.
 
Last edited by a moderator: