1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figuring out the direction of a magnetic field

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1
    Giving this graph and the given direction of the current, which quadrant(s) will have the greatest magnetic field?

It's question 6 in the practice exam: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/courses/phy2054/sum08/ps2e2sm02.pdf

All it gives is the direction of the current. I understand that the quadrant(s) will be the area where the magnetic fields reinforce each other, but how are you suppose to find the direction of the field if all you're given is the current?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are expected to know the magnetic field surrounding a current-carrying wire. Hint: Use the right hand rule to find its direction.

Read this: Magnetic Field of Current
  4. Jun 28, 2008 #3
    Thank it makes sense now. I was confused because the direction is either clockwise or counterclockwise. I reallise now that they both point in the same direction in B and C.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?