1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filament lamp model (derivation)

1. Aug 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    State and use simple assumptions to show that ' Power is proportional to V^5' is the expected relationship for a pure tungsten filament bulb.

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    I=dq/dt
    Q=mcT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use a simple model where the rate of heat loss is proportional to the difference in temperature.
    From there things got complex and i can't seem to see how to derive this

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see P (power) in your relevant equations ?
    And what is R ? IF it's the resistance, how could that vary with V ?
    You sure the exercise says ##V^5## and means applied voltage ?

I=dq/dt and Q=mcT are equations alright, and I can guess what the symbols stand for, but are they relevant equations ?

4. Aug 11, 2016 #3
    The question is asked just as i posed it. I can't figure out how to relate the power to the voltage easily.
    I'm not sure what equations to use actually. I figured maybe it had something to do with the heating effect of the filament.
    Yeah V^5 is the applied voltage

5. Aug 11, 2016 #4

NEW
    The question is asked just as i posed it. I can't figure out how to relate the power to the voltage easily.
    I'm not sure what equations to use actually. I figured maybe it had something to do with the heating effect of the filament.
    Yeah V^5 is the applied voltage

6. Aug 11, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Link says ##V^{1.6}##.

And this is assuming changes in ##V## at normal operating conditions -- something the exercise should have mentioned too !

Usually we state ##P = V I = V^2/R##. So if ##R## is constant, we have ##P\propto V^2##. To get ##\propto V^5## you would need ##R\propto V^{-3}## which to me seems mission impossible.

7. Aug 11, 2016 #6
    OH SORRY! i didnt copy it well. It meant P^5 proportional to V^8 sorry about that

8. Aug 11, 2016 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The power on the tungsten filament in a light bulb is mainly dissipated by radiation. How does the radiated power depend on temperature (think of black-body radiation).

9. Aug 11, 2016 #8
    So okay. ill try using stefan boltzmann law

10. Aug 11, 2016 #9
    T= temperataure of filament Ti=temperature outside k,m,a are constants
    So the temperature is proportional to the Power disspated. T=kP. P=m(T^4-Ti^4)=mT^4 ( approximately)
    Resistance of the filament lamp =R=Ro(1-a(T-Ti))
    Considering the lamp with current I through it V=I*Ro(1-a(T-Ti))=IRo(1-aT) (approximately)
    From there I cant quite continue

11. Aug 11, 2016 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that is not true.
    The filament is much hotter than the surroundings, (about 2500 °C) so you can ignore Ti. And change the minus to plus. Approximately, the resistance is proportional to T.
    How do you get the power dissipated in a resistor R if the voltage across the resistor is U?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. Aug 11, 2016 #11
    your equation for resistance variation with temperature for a metal is wrong. The resistance increases with temperature and the variation with temperature is only linear for 'low' temperatures. The temperature of a tungsten filament bulb would not be considered as 'low'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted