Filling in the blank to a statement

• Thread starter MellowOne
  • Start date
In summary: Well, we can solve that for x. Multiply both sides by -1 to get -2.01\le -x2+ 4x- 5\le -1.99. Add 5 to all sides: 2.99\le -x2+ 4x\le 3.01. Now, complete the square in x: -x2+ 4x+ 4= -(x-2)2+ 4. So we have -x2+ 4x+ 4\le 3.01, -(x-2)2\le 3.01- 4= -0.99. Because the square of a number is
MellowOne

Homework Statement

For the statement "If x is within _______ units of 3 (but not equal to 3), then f(x) is within 0.01 unit of 2," write the largest number that can go in the blank

Homework Equations

Nonr

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a multi-step problem, but the two numbers I ended up with are 1.99 or 2.01. I'm not sure which one fits into this statement because I'm not quite sure what it's asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
MellowOne said:

Homework Statement

For the statement "If x is within _______ units of 3 (but not equal to 3), then f(x) is within 0.01 unit of 2," write the largest number that can go in the blank

Homework Equations

Nonr

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a multi-step problem, but the two numbers I ended up with are 1.99 or 2.01. I'm not sure which one fits into this statement because I'm not quite sure what it's asking.
This question doesn't make sense unless you are given a specific function f! It looks to me like f is some continuous function such that f(3)= 2. But what goes in the blank depends upon exactly what f is. Surely you realized that?

Sorry, maybe I should have put the function that I was given. I'm not sure what F! means, but here's the function I'm given. F(x) = (x^3 - 7x^2 + 17x - 15)/( x - 3) It is a continuous graph, but at x = 3 there's a point of discontinuity which is (3,2).

MellowOne said:
Sorry, maybe I should have put the function that I was given. I'm not sure what F! means, but here's the function I'm given. F(x) = (x^3 - 7x^2 + 17x - 15)/( x - 3) It is a continuous graph, but at x = 3 there's a point of discontinuity which is (3,2).
The exclamation point after f was punctuation in the sentence, just like this one!
The graph can't be continuous AND have a point of discontinuity. Without looking at the graph, I'm guessing that there is a "hole" at (3, 2). I'm also guessing that if you divided the numerator polynomial (x^3 + ...) by (x - 3) there wouldn't be a remainder. That might be a hint.

MellowOne said:
You mean that F has a removable discontinuity at x= 3. That's a discontinuity because 33- 7(32+ 17(3)- 15= 27-63+ 51- 15= 78- 78= 0 as well as 3- 3= 0: both numerator and denominator are 0 at x= 3. Because x= 3 makes the numerator 0, we know that x-3 is a factor. Knowing that it is easy to see that x3- 7x2+ 17x- 15= (x-3)(x2- 4x+ 5) so for x NOT equal to 3, this is just F(x)= x2- 4x+ 5= (x-4)(x-1). The discontinuity is "removable" because that has limit 3 at x= 2.

Now, if "f(x) is within 0.01 unit of 2", that is, if [itex]1.99\le x^2- 4x+ 5\le 2.01[/itex] what must x be?

What is the purpose of "Filling in the blank" in a statement?

The purpose of "Filling in the blank" in a statement is to complete and add specificity to a sentence or idea. It allows for the inclusion of specific information or details that may be necessary to fully convey the intended meaning.

How does "Filling in the blank" contribute to scientific research?

"Filling in the blank" is crucial in scientific research as it helps to accurately and precisely communicate findings, methods, and conclusions. By providing specific details in a statement, it allows for reproducibility and further analysis of the research.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when "Filling in the blank"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when "Filling in the blank" include using vague or ambiguous language, omitting important details, and making assumptions. It is important to be clear, specific, and accurate when filling in the blank to ensure proper understanding and interpretation of the statement.

What are some tips for effectively "Filling in the blank" in a statement?

To effectively "Filling in the blank" in a statement, it is important to consider the audience and purpose of the statement. Use clear and concise language, avoid unnecessary words, and provide relevant and accurate information. It may also be helpful to review and revise the statement multiple times to ensure accuracy and clarity.

How can "Filling in the blank" aid in data analysis?

"Filling in the blank" can aid in data analysis by providing specific details about the data being analyzed. This can help to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data, leading to a better understanding of the research topic at hand.