Are Real Images Always Inverted and Virtual Always Erect in Ray Optics?

In summary: I got a little ahead of myself there. Let's back up a bit.The short answer is: Yes, it is possible for a multiple lens system to form a real, erect image or a virtual, inverted image. The long answer is: It depends on the arrangement and properties of the lenses. For example, if we have two converging lenses, with the first lens having a focal length of f1 and the second lens having a focal length of f2, then the overall focal length of the system would be f1 + f2. If the object is placed between the two lenses at a distance u from the first lens, then the image formed by the first lens would act as the object for the second lens,
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

My question is, are real images always inverted and virtual always erect?

Homework Equations

1/v+1/u=1/f for mirrors
and 1/v-1/u=1/f for lenses

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider a concave lens, with object at -x. the condition for a virtual image is v<0; i.e on the same side of the lens as the object. The condition for image being erect is m>0 or v/u > 0. This suggests that a virtual image is always erect; can I generalize this for every case in ray optics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

1/v+1/u=1/f for mirrors
and 1/v-1/u=1/f for lenses

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider a concave lens, with object at -x. the condition for a virtual image is v<0; i.e on the same side of the lens as the object. The condition for image being erect is m>0 or v/u > 0. This suggests that a virtual image is always erect; can I generalize this for every case in ray optics?
For a single convex or concave lens,yes.Real images are always inverted and virtual images are always erect,but when there are multiple lenses that doesn’t hold true.

Here is a chart I made on our physics class:
Every possible way of a convex lens forming images(F is the assumed focus point,2F is two times the distance than the focus )
2E37DD92-7410-4D7D-866F-494962DF658B.jpeg

Concave:
00F12A48-9216-4159-8AAD-A5786D84F8E3.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E37DD92-7410-4D7D-866F-494962DF658B.jpeg
    2E37DD92-7410-4D7D-866F-494962DF658B.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,806
  • 00F12A48-9216-4159-8AAD-A5786D84F8E3.jpeg
    00F12A48-9216-4159-8AAD-A5786D84F8E3.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,586
Young physicist said:
Every possible way of a convex lens forming images
What about virtual objects? :oldwink:

jtbell said:
What about virtual objects? :oldwink:
Virtual objects are also shown in the image,the bottom right one of convex lens and every image in concave lens are virtual. I drew then as dotted lines. (They may not be clear)

I said virtual object, not virtual image. In all of your diagrams, the object is real, to the left of the lens, with u < 0 in the Cartesian sign convention that @Krushnaraj Pandya is using. A virtual object is to the right of the lens (more precisely, on the side opposite the side the light is coming from), with u > 0 in the Cartesian sign convention. You can see a diagram of one example of a virtual object here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-a-lens.763141/

(edit: I corrected my original "v < 0" and "v > 0" above to "u < 0" and "u > 0". I got my u's and v's mixed up. :oops:)

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
By "always", do you include virtual objects, as described above?

Last edited:
jtbell said:
I said virtual object, not virtual image. In all of your diagrams, the object is real, to the left of the lens, with u < 0 in the Cartesian sign convention that @Krushnaraj Pandya is using. A virtual object is to the right of the lens (more precisely, on the side opposite the side the light is coming from), with u > 0 in the Cartesian sign convention. You can see a diagram of one example of a virtual object here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-a-lens.763141/By "always", do you include virtual objects, as described above?
The purpose of my question was to get informed of any cases at all (if they exist)- virtual objects or real- to be forming a real erect OR virtual inverted image. Is that possible in a single lens/mirror system?

Young physicist said:
For a single convex or concave lens,yes.Real images are always inverted and virtual images are always erect,but when there are multiple lenses that doesn’t hold true.
Thank you, it is very thoughtful of you to upload those pictures, can you show me an example of a multiple lens system forming an erect real image and vice versa?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
The purpose of my question was to get informed of any cases at all (if they exist)- virtual objects or real- to be forming a real erect OR virtual inverted image. Is that possible in a single lens/mirror system?
A virtual object requires another lens or mirror, in order to produce the virtual object. Do you mean a single lens/mirror in addition to that one?

If yes, then the example on the page that I linked to, is a real, erect image. You can verify this by using the thin-lens equation with a suitable value of u > 0. Hint: try both u > f and u < f, i.e. object outside and inside the focal length.

If no, then the object must be real (u < 0). You should be able to enumerate all four possible combinations of object outside and inside the focal length, with a converging and a diverging lens, and determine whether any of them produce a real erect or virtual inverted image.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Thank you, it is very thoughtful of you to upload those pictures, can you show me an example of a multiple lens system forming an erect real image and vice versa?
Compound microscopes are a great example of an inverted virtual image:
https://goo.gl/images/75NFeM

1. Can a real image be erect?

Yes, a real image can be erect. This means that the image appears upright and in the same orientation as the object.

2. How is a real image formed?

A real image is formed when light rays from an object converge and intersect, creating an inverted image on a screen or surface. This can occur through reflection or refraction.

3. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed by actual convergence of light rays and can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image is formed by the apparent convergence of light rays and cannot be projected onto a screen.

4. Is a real image always smaller than the object?

No, a real image can be either larger or smaller than the object, depending on the distance and orientation of the object from the lens or mirror that forms the image.

5. Can a real image be magnified?

Yes, a real image can be magnified by placing a convex lens or concave mirror in front of the image. The lens or mirror will bend the light rays, creating a larger image on the screen or surface.