Final speed of ball : collision with vertical plank at top

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and conservation laws to analyze the motion of a plank rotating about a pivot. It is determined that the equation for conservation of momentum may not be correct due to the possibility of horizontal forces at the pivot, and that the pivot must be used as the axis for conservation of angular momentum. This understanding adds to the intelligence of selecting the proper axis of rotation for a given problem.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-8-16_17-13-46.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the first part already.
For the 2nd part, I am writing the relevant eqns.

Can I take motion of the plank as a pure rotation about the pivot ?
Quantities corresponding to pivot is subscripted by p.
Conservation of momentum gives,
## mv_0 =mv_f + MV_f ## (1)
Conservation of Angular momentum about the pivot gives,
##2mv_0 l = 2mv_f l+ [ I_p \omega_p = I_{cen} \omega_{cen} + MV_f R] ~~~~~~(2)
\\ \omega_p = \omega_{cen} = V_f/l ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(3)
\\ mv_0 = mv_f + \frac { 2MV_f } 3 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(4) ## which contradicts eqn. (1)

Conservation of kinetic energy,
## \frac 1 2 m v_0^2 = \frac 1 2 m v_f^2 + [\frac 1 2 I_{p} ω^2 = \frac 1 2 I_{cen} ω^2 + \frac 1 2 M V_f^2] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(5)##

Are these equations correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think eq (1) is not correct as the pivot may exist force in horizontal direction,too.

Pushoam said:
I think eq (1) is not correct as the pivot may exist force in horizontal direction,too.
Quite so. Likewise, to be able to ignore this for conservation of angular momentum you must use the pivot as the axis.

(You mean "exert".)

Likes Pushoam
haruspex said:
Likewise, to be able to ignore this for conservation of angular momentum you must use the pivot as the axis.

Thanks for giving a reason for this "must". I was looking for it.This adds to my intelligence of selecting proper axis of rotation for a given problem.

haruspex said:
(You mean "exert".)
Yes.

1. What is the final speed of the ball after colliding with a vertical plank at the top?

The final speed of the ball depends on several factors such as the initial velocity of the ball, the mass and elasticity of the ball and the plank, and the angle of collision. It can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy.

2. How does the angle of collision affect the final speed of the ball?

The angle of collision between the ball and the vertical plank at the top can affect the final speed of the ball. If the ball collides at a perpendicular angle, the final speed will be maximum. However, if the angle is oblique, the final speed will be less than the maximum value.

3. What is the role of mass and elasticity in determining the final speed of the ball?

The mass of the ball and the plank can affect the final speed of the ball after collision. A heavier ball will have a greater momentum and can transfer more energy to the plank, resulting in a higher final speed. The elasticity of the materials also plays a role, as a more elastic ball and plank can better conserve the energy during the collision.

4. Can the final speed of the ball be greater than the initial speed?

No, according to the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, the final speed of the ball cannot be greater than the initial speed. Some energy may be lost due to friction and other factors, resulting in a slightly lower final speed.

5. Is there a mathematical equation to calculate the final speed of the ball after collision with a vertical plank at the top?

Yes, the final speed of the ball can be calculated using the equation: v2 = (m1v1cosθ1 + m2v2cosθ2) / (m1 + m2), where v1 is the initial velocity of the ball, θ1 is the angle of collision, m1 is the mass of the ball, m2 is the mass of the plank, and v2 is the final speed of the ball.