1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone this is my first post on PhysicsForums

I am in my second year of electronic systems engineering degree and I have to choose a final year project. I am really enjoying the modules on RF engineering and electromagnetics, especially electromagnetics is just too interesting :smile:

I have chosen the engineering discipline of my final year project to be RF/electromagnetic/Photonics. My university is actively involved with CERN, so one of the project applications is in particle accelerators. However, I can choose a project application in communication as well!

Could you please suggest me some project ideas for my final year. I really like maths a lot (calculus, vectors, complex number) and I am comfortable with visualizing it. it would be nice if you could recommend a 'mathematical project' idea!

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    My standard answer to "tell me what project I should do?" questions is that the point is for you to figure that out.

In engineering this means becoming familiar with what sorts of problems are currently faced by "the industry".

The best source for that is to read industry trade journals: the entire purpose of these are to communication problems and solutions of the industry so every single article is pure gold for getting ideas for projects that are timely and relevant.

For electromagnetics this means trades like RF & Microwave, Antenna Systems and Technology, Above Ground Level, Microwave Journal, RF Design/Defense Electronics, Wireless Week, Wireless Design and Development, etc.

If you are familiar with Internet Rule 34, it applies to trade journals as well.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot! I think it is an important advice, to read the journals and identify the problems/project ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook