Final year project on archemedes screw

In summary, the conversation is about a student who wants to work on an Archimedes screw for their final year engineering project. They are seeking ideas to make it more engineering-oriented and have considered using wind or solar power to operate it. Suggestions are given to look into existing designs and utilize Google for more ideas.
mech_lady
hey guys! i want to work on archemedian screw/its applications as my final year engineering project. can u help me to make it more engineering affiliated ? i got this idea from a site related to school level science project...i really want to do this. please suggest ideas! thanks in advance.:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Final year engineering for what?

Last edited by a moderator:
xxChrisxx said:
Final year engineering for what?

its a college graduation project. it seems high school level topic but that is the challenge. i want to make it engineering types. if you have seen the videos related to this topic, you would see that its a simple hand operated device. i have thought of running it on wind or solar power. any more ideas r welcome!

well! Google is your best friend. I have seen wind operated Archimedes screw using VAWT.

1. What is an Archimedes screw and how does it work?

An Archimedes screw is a simple machine used to lift water from a lower level to a higher level. It consists of a large screw inside a hollow pipe. When the screw rotates, it pushes water up the incline of the screw and out of the top of the pipe.

2. What are the applications of an Archimedes screw?

An Archimedes screw can be used for irrigation, drainage, and water pumping. It is also commonly used in wastewater treatment plants to remove solids from water.

3. How is an Archimedes screw different from other types of pumps?

An Archimedes screw is different from other pumps because it is self-priming, meaning it can lift water from a lower level without the need for a separate mechanism. It is also a low-energy and low-maintenance option compared to other pumps.

4. What materials are commonly used to make an Archimedes screw?

An Archimedes screw can be made from various materials, including wood, metal, and plastic. The choice of material depends on the application and the availability of resources.

5. Are there any modern advancements or variations of the traditional Archimedes screw?

Yes, there are modern variations of the traditional Archimedes screw that have been developed for more efficient and specialized applications. These include the Archimedes screw turbine, which generates electricity from the flow of water, and the Archimedes screw conveyor, which is used for moving materials such as grain or cement.