1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finally, discuss some physical limitations that might

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    "Finally, discuss some physical limitations that might ..."

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part (d) of problem 1 here: http://faculty.washington.edu/joelzy/402_502_W13_hw4.pdf [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations

I have (I(t) I'(t))T = cos(t/√(LC))k1 + sin(t/√(LC))k2, some k1, k2 ε ℂ2 for my solution and so I know that decreasing the value of LC increases the ticking frequency of this clock.

3. The attempt at a solution

But I'm at a loss for what to put for this "discuss some physical limitations" thing. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: "Finally, discuss some physical limitations that might ..."

For one thing - do you think this clock will run forever? Even if so, does the current level stay constant or does it get harder to detect over time? Do the values of R, C and L change in any way over time?

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3

Theoretically, yes.

Well, it oscillates, since current is V = RI, R is constant, I is oscillating.

I don't really know since I'm not an electrical engineer

5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

I do not see any dependence of the solution on R. How come?

6. Feb 6, 2013 #5

If we want it to tick with a constant frequency, then we want the node to be a center, so we want R=0. Right? We want I(t)=0 periodically.

7. Feb 6, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does it seem reasonale to assume that whatever circuit you use to detect the zero crossings of the current has a limitation as to how low the current can be before it can't tell the difference between that low level and zero?

And BTW you can't have R = 0 in real life. Besides, the problem specifies a resistor.

And FYI R, C and L do change over time & environment. That's why crystal oscillators are used in your PC!

8. Feb 6, 2013 #7

Do you think it is physically possible to have R = 0? The circuit is called LRC for a reason.

9. Feb 6, 2013 #8

Isn't my intuition right, though, that we want the vector field of (I I')T to be something circling the origin forever?

10. Feb 6, 2013 #9

Is that possible with R > 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook