1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a basis for U perp given U = {(3,-1,2),(2,0,-3)}

1. Apr 8, 2006 #1
    Find a basis for U perp given U = {(3,-1,2),(2,0,-3)}

to find U perp i have to find a vector such that it perpendicular to BOTH of those vectors up there
    3x - 2y + 2z = 0
    2x - 3z = 0

i get z = t
    y = 13t/2
    x = 2t
    so the only basis for U perp is
    {2t,13t/2,t}?? ALl values of t are simply multiples of each other anyway...
    AM i right? Only one vector?

If [tex] R^n = span\{X_{1},X_{2},...,X_{N}\ [/tex]} and [tex] X \bullet X_{i} = Y \bullet X_{i} [/tex]
    for all i, then show that X = Y

WEll all the Xi form an orthogonal basis right? So from the given condition couldnt we say
    for n not i
    [tex] X \bullet \left(\frac{X_{i} \bullet X_{1}}{||X_{1}||^2} X_{1} + ... + \frac{X_{i} \bullet X_{n}}{||X_{n}||^2} X_{n}\right) [/tex]
    and [tex] Y \bullet \left(\frac{X_{i} \bullet X_{1}}{||X_{1}||^2} X_{1} + ... + \frac{X_{i} \bullet X_{n}}{||X_{n}||^2} X_{n}\right) [/tex]
    since the two are equal.. and Xi dot X and Xi dot are all equal... then X must be same as Y
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Strictly speaking, {2t,13t/2,t} is not a basis for U perp, you have to pick some value for t. Also, you need to put your vector in brackets, otherwise this is just a set of 3 numbers, which has nothing to do with anything. So if you pick some non-zero t, then {(2t,13t/2,t)} is a basis for U perp.

How do you know the Xi form an orthogonal basis? And do you intend N to be the same as n? Anyways, you're overcomplicating things, and what you've written doesn't make sense, so I don't know how to help you. As a general tip, if you want to show two things are equal, a good way to do it is to show that their difference is 0. So as a start, consider the fact that since X.Xi = Y.Xi for all i, (X-Y).Xi = 0 for all i.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?