1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a closed interval topology

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be an ordered set where every closed interval is compact. Prove that X has the least upper bound property.

2. Relevant equations
    X having the least upper bound property means that every nonempty subset that is bounded from above has a least upper bound, in other words, an upper bound where any number less that it is not an upper bound.
    Compact means that every open cover has a finite subcover.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let A be a subset of X that is bounded from above. I know I should try to find a closed interval from this, but I'm not sure where to get it from.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2
    Re: topology

Hello,
    I'll try to give an intuitive explanation.

"Let A be a subset of X that is bounded from above."
    If A has a greatest element, we're done. If A does not, we can focus on an interval B of the form [...[ with [tex]A \cap B = B[/tex]. Note that B has no greatest element thus there is an open cover that has no finite subcover (is there?).
    Define [tex]C = \overline{B}[/tex].
    • If C = B, then B is closed and thus compact (CONTRADICTION! (?))
    • So C has at least an element more than B. What is this element?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook