F is strictly increasing at each point in (a,b)

Homework Statement

Let ##(a,b)\subset \mathbb{R}## be a bounded open interval. Prove that if ##f:(a,b)\to\ \mathbb{R}## is strictly increasing at each point in ##(a,b)##, then ##f## is strictly increasing on ##(a,b)##.

Homework Equations

Let ##(a,b)\subset \mathbb{R}## be a bounded open interval in ##\mathbb{R}##. We say that ##f:(a,b)\to \mathbb{R}## is strictly increasing at ##c\in(a,b)## if there is a ##\delta>0## such that both the following hold:
1) for each ##x\in(c-\delta,c)## we have ##f(x)<f(c)##
2) for each ##x\in(c,c+\delta)## we have ##f(c)<f(x)##.

We say that ##f:(a,b)\to \mathbb{R}## is strictly increasing on ##(a,b)## if whenever ##x,y\in(a,b)## with ##x<y##, we find that ##f(x)<f(y)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start here. This is a challenge problem in the section on the least upper bound, so I suppose it relates somehow, but I am not seeing the connection. Hints would be nice.

EDIT: I think I solved it.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

2) for each ##x\in(c,c+\delta)## we have ##f(c)<f(x)##
The way I did it, I combined these two statements, changed the second ##x## to a ##y## and chose a ##\delta>0## such that ##(c-\delta,c+\delta)\subset (a,b)##.

The way I did it, I combined these two statements, changed the second ##x## to a ##y## and chose a ##\delta>0## such that ##(c-\delta,c+\delta)\subset (a,b)##.
I don't think you're allowed to choose ##\delta##. It says only that "there exists."

Likes FactChecker
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
did they prove the heine borel property in the section on lub's? (i.e. every open covering of a closed bounded interval by open intyervals has a finite sub covering.) given points c< d in the interval, the fact that f(c) < f(d) seems to follow from the existence of a finite cover of the closed bounded interval [c,d] by open intervals of the type mentioned.

or did they discuss greatest lower bounds? given c in (a,b) you want to show there are no points x >c where f(x) ≤ f(c). Assuming there are some, the set of such x is a bounded non empty set and has a greatest lower bound d. That means every x with f(x) ≤ f(c) has x ≥ d, and also that there are such x arbitrarily close to d and greater than d.

case 1) f(d) ≤ f(c). rule this out.

case 2) f(d) > f(c). Rule this out.

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Let ##(a,b)\subset \mathbb{R}## be a bounded open interval. Prove that if ##f:(a,b)\to\ \mathbb{R}## is strictly increasing at each point in ##(a,b)##, then ##f## is strictly increasing on ##(a,b)##.

Homework Equations

Let ##(a,b)\subset \mathbb{R}## be a bounded open interval in ##\mathbb{R}##. We say that ##f:(a,b)\to \mathbb{R}## is strictly increasing at ##c\in(a,b)## if there is a ##\delta>0## such that both the following hold:
2) for each ##x\in(c,c+\delta)## we have ##f(c)<f(x)##.

We say that ##f:(a,b)\to \mathbb{R}## is strictly increasing on ##(a,b)## if whenever ##x,y\in(a,b)## with ##x<y##, we find that ##f(x)<f(y)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start here. This is a challenge problem in the section on the least upper bound, so I suppose it relates somehow, but I am not seeing the connection. Hints would be nice.

EDIT: I think I solved it.
What is the definition of the concept "is strictly increasing at ##c \in (a,b)##"? Using some definitions the problem is trivial, but using others it presents a bit of a challenge.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this may work: choose x>y. Then there is a chain of ##\delta##'s from y to x, but maybe you can join them with a line that includes the endpoints and then use compactness to use only finitely-many ##\delta##s.