Find a formula for 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21,

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the sequence 1,3,6,10,15,21,... can be described by the formula T_n= \sum_{i=1}^n i, which is also known as the sum of triangular numbers. Another way to represent this sequence is through a recursive formula a_{n+1}=a_{n}+n+2 with a starting value of a_0=1, or a closed formula a_{n}=\frac{1}{6}n^{3}+\frac
annoymage

Homework Statement

find the formula for

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i only can find n>=3

Tn = 3 + [tex]\sum[/tex] i ; i=3 to n

help T_T

Physics news on Phys.org

For one thing, the numbers in the way you listed them are called a sequence. Do you see a pattern among those numbers? That may help you.

Last edited:

yea lol, it's sequence ;P sorry, and yea, i saw the pattern, but only start from 3 T_T

annoymage said:

Homework Statement

find the formula for

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i only can find n>=3

Tn = 3 + [tex]\sum[/tex] i ; i=3 to n
But 3= 1+ 2 and 1= 0+ 1 so you can say it is [itex]T_n= \sum_{i= 1}^n i[/itex] That's a well known sum with a well known formula. Look up "triangular numbers".

help T_T

thanks, how come i didn't realized it's [itex]T_n= \sum_{i= 1}^n i[/itex] instead of Tn = 3 + sum(i) ; i=3 to n.

thank you :D

There is no sigma notation in sequences, a sequence is written as:

[tex]
\left \{a_{n} \right \}_{n=0}^{N}
[/tex]

as to your sequence it could be defined by a recursive formula:

[tex]
a_{n+1}=a_{n}+n+2
[/tex]

[tex]
a_{0}=1
[/tex]

1. How do you find the formula for the given sequence?

The formula for this sequence is n(n+1)/2, where n represents the position of the term in the sequence. For example, the first term in the sequence is 1, so n=1. Plugging this into the formula, we get 1(1+1)/2 = 2/2 = 1. The second term is 3, so n=2. Plugging this into the formula, we get 2(2+1)/2 = 6/2 = 3, and so on.

2. Can the formula be expressed in a different way?

Yes, the formula can also be written as (n^2 + n)/2. This is known as the triangular number formula.

3. What is the purpose of finding a formula for a sequence?

Finding a formula for a sequence allows us to easily predict and calculate any term in the sequence without having to write out each term. It also helps us understand the pattern and behavior of the sequence.

4. Are there any other common sequences with similar formulas?

Yes, there are many common sequences with similar formulas, such as the arithmetic sequence (where the difference between consecutive terms is constant) and the geometric sequence (where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant).

5. Can this formula be used to find the sum of all terms in the sequence?

Yes, the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence (Sn) is n/2(2a + (n-1)d), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference. In this case, a=1 and d=1, so the formula simplifies to n/2(n+1), which is equivalent to the formula for the nth term in this sequence.