Discovering the Formula for Σ (i=1, n) √i

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Σ (i=1, n) √i, with the attempt at a solution involving a comparison of formulas. However, the proposed formula is incorrect as the sum of square roots is not necessarily a rational number. The conversation also mentions a formula by Ramanujan, but notes that it requires further work.
EEristavi

Homework Statement

Calculate Σ (i=1, n) √i

I want to write general formula, then use it for any n (like we have for Σ (i=1, n) i

Homework Equations

Σ (i=1, n) i = n (n+1) / 2
Σ (i=1, n) i^2 = n (n+1)(2n +1) / 6

The Attempt at a Solution

Comparing formulas provided above: I assume the answer must be: (n (n+1) / 2) * (3/(2n +1))

Is it correct? if yes how can I prove appropriately.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. What do the square brackets mean? I guess i[2] means i2 = i^2, but what is i[1][/2]? The square root? ##\sqrt i##?
If yes: No, your formula doesn't work.

Yes, it means √i. I tried to use "super script" function, but it didn't work as I see.

@mfb Can you give me a hint to get a correct answer?

I highly doubt that your answer is correct because your answer is always a rational number, whereas the sum of square roots is not necessarily rational.

This is a much more difficult problem than the sum of some integer powers of numbers.
There is a formula, found by Ramanujan, but it needs some more work.

Likes EEristavi
AspiringResearcher said:
I highly doubt that your answer is correct because your answer is always a rational number, whereas the sum of square roots is not necessarily rational.

Yes, its incorrect.
It was kind of intuitive guess

1. What is the significance of Σ (i=1, n) √i in science?

The formula Σ (i=1, n) √i is commonly used in mathematics and science to calculate the sum of square roots of a series of numbers. It is particularly useful in the field of statistics and data analysis.

2. How is Σ (i=1, n) √i derived?

The formula Σ (i=1, n) √i is derived using mathematical principles and techniques, such as the properties of square roots and the summation notation. It is a result of combining and simplifying various mathematical equations.

3. Can Σ (i=1, n) √i be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Σ (i=1, n) √i can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the average of a set of square root values or estimating the total distance traveled in a continuous motion.

4. Are there any limitations to using Σ (i=1, n) √i?

Like any mathematical formula, Σ (i=1, n) √i has its limitations. It may not be applicable to certain types of data or situations, and it may produce inaccurate results if not used correctly.

5. How can I apply Σ (i=1, n) √i in my own research or experiments?

If your research or experiment involves a series of numbers or values, you may consider using Σ (i=1, n) √i to calculate the sum of square roots. This can help you analyze and interpret your data more accurately.