1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a function of two variables with these propertes . . .

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a function of two variables whose level curves are parabolas with vertex (0,0) with a hole in the parabolas at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    No special equations come to mind.
    4ay=x2 may be a little useful.

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I thought of was y=x3/x, but that doesn't include the third variable. I know the parabolas can have any value for a or face any direction, but I do not know how to include z so that the function will remain having level curves as stated.

Are there any other functions with these properties? Any input will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so i assume by z you mean the function z = F(x,y) we are trying to find?

so we have the level curves of z = F(x,y), given by F(x,y) = c, for some constant a, are given by y = ax^2, for some constant a.

What if we set the constants the same?

F(x,y) = a --> y = a^x2
    hopefully this will get you started...

a few other things to consider.
    - The solution for F(x,y) is not uniquie - can you find the full family of solutions?
    - The gradient of F(x,y) will be perpindicular to a level curve at any point, useful check
    - The levels curevs have a "hole" at (0,0), why & what does this imply for F(x,y)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook