1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding functions that are a level set and a graph

1. Sep 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem concerns the surface determined by the graph of the equation ##x^2 + xy -xz = 2##

a) Find a function ##F(x,y,z)## of three variables so that this surface may be considered to be a level set of F.

b) Find a function ##f(x,y)## of two variables so that this surface may be considered to be the graph of ##z=f(x,y)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not very sure about what I'm saying, but it was nearing my professor's office hours when I asked him this question. He replied something like functions of a level set needs to have three variables, while functions of a graph needs an extra variable, and this applies to all cases, not just the question I'm referring to. So, following his example, I answered (a) like this:

Let ##F(x,y,z)## be the set ## [x,y,z,w | w=F(x,y,z)] ##, and ##F(x,y,z) = x^2 + xy -xz##, because I was thinking that since this equation has three variables, it's a function of ##\mathbb {R}##3##→ \mathbb {R}##4, so the level curves will have three variables. I don't really know what to do with the constant 2 in the equation though. I think putting the constant 2 there is like setting the value of ##w## to find a level curve. I'm not sure I'm right.

For (b), I just answered ##z= x + y - \frac{2}{x}##

Did I answer these correctly?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes your answers are correct. The 2 can be ignored because it is a constant, so it doesn't change what the level sets are, only the value that is obtained on each level set. In fact any function of the form ##x^2+xy-xz+C## for constant ##C## is a correct answer to (a). The simplest such function is the one you gave, which has ##C=0##.

4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted