1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a matrix S1 that satisfies A= S(uppercase lamda)S^(-1)

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A matrix S and a matrix A are given. Let A = S(uppercase lamda)S-1, but do not calculate A. Find different S1 and (Uppercase lamda)1 such that the same A satisfies A = S1(Uppercase lamda)1S1-1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have given the original matrices and my work on my attachment so see that for my work. What I want to know is what exactly is S1 and (Uppercase lamda)1 and how do I solve for them?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    Your problem description doesn't make sense. I'm guessing you're given S and Lambda, not S and A.

You should multiply both sides of equation [itex] A = S \Lambda S^{-1} [/itex] with 1 a couple of times, only write it as [itex] 1 = S_1 S_1^{-1} [/itex].

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    Yak they gave me uppercase lamda and S what I am confused on is how to find S1.

5. May 12, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

As suggested by clamtrox, just multiply both sides by the 3x3 unit vector.

6. May 12, 2012 #5
    I am confused if I do that I just get the same matrix again and I cant calculate A so what do I do?

7. May 12, 2012 #6
    Of course you get the same matrix, that's the entire point. You want it to remain equal to A, but you want to write it in a different way.

8. May 12, 2012 #7
    ok I think I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook