Find a matrix S1 that satisfies A= S(uppercase lamda)S^(-1)

Homework Statement

A matrix S and a matrix A are given. Let A = S(uppercase lamda)S-1, but do not calculate A. Find different S1 and (Uppercase lamda)1 such that the same A satisfies A = S1(Uppercase lamda)1S1-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have given the original matrices and my work on my attachment so see that for my work. What I want to know is what exactly is S1 and (Uppercase lamda)1 and how do I solve for them?

Attachments

• EPSON004.jpg
    EPSON004.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 368

Answers and Replies

Your problem description doesn't make sense. I'm guessing you're given S and Lambda, not S and A.

You should multiply both sides of equation [itex] A = S \Lambda S^{-1} [/itex] with 1 a couple of times, only write it as [itex] 1 = S_1 S_1^{-1} [/itex].

Yak they gave me uppercase lamda and S what I am confused on is how to find S1.

DryRun
Gold Member
You should multiply both sides of equation [itex] A = S \Lambda S^{-1} [/itex] with 1 a couple of times, only write it as [itex] 1 = S_1 S_1^{-1} [/itex].

As suggested by clamtrox, just multiply both sides by the 3x3 unit vector.

I am confused if I do that I just get the same matrix again and I cant calculate A so what do I do?

Of course you get the same matrix, that's the entire point. You want it to remain equal to A, but you want to write it in a different way.

ok I think I got it