"A computer system uses passwords [..]": Probabilities=?

The probability of a password containing at least one integer is approximately 1.65E14 / 62^8, or 0.7551.
s3a

Homework Statement

PROBLEM(S):
A computer system uses passwords that contain exactly eight characters, and each character is one of 26 lowercase letters (a–z) or 26 uppercase letters (A–Z) or 10 integers (0–9). Let Ω denote the set of all possible passwords, and let A and B denote the events that consist of passwords with only letters or only integers, respectively. Suppose that all passwords in Ω are equally likely.

Determine the probability of each of the following:
(a) A
(b) B
(c) A password contains at least 1 integer.
(d) A password contains exactly 2 integers.

ANSWERS:
(a) 0.2448
(b) 4.58E−7
(c) 0.7551
(d) 0.254

Homework Equations

Multiplication rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please show me how to do (a), so that I can work on the rest on my own? For (a), I tried P(A) = 1/(52^8), but that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

PROBLEM(S):
A computer system uses passwords that contain exactly eight characters, and each character is one of 26 lowercase letters (a–z) or 26 uppercase letters (A–Z) or 10 integers (0–9). Let Ω denote the set of all possible passwords, and let A and B denote the events that consist of passwords with only letters or only integers, respectively. Suppose that all passwords in Ω are equally likely.

Determine the probability of each of the following:
(a) A
(b) B
(c) A password contains at least 1 integer.
(d) A password contains exactly 2 integers.

ANSWERS:
(a) 0.2448
(b) 4.58E−7
(c) 0.7551
(d) 0.254

Homework Equations

Multiplication rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please show me how to do (a), so that I can work on the rest on my own? For (a), I tried P(A) = 1/(52^8), but that's wrong.
For each character chosen, you have 52 possible characters out of a total of 62.

Oh, I see!

So, (a) is (52/62)^8!

Thanks!

I also get (b) to be roughly 4.58E-7, but could you please help me with parts (c) and (d) now?

s3a said:
Oh, I see!

So, (a) is (52/62)^8!

Thanks!
Assuming that "!" is not a factorial, yes! (And, of course, that fraction can be reduced- 52/62= 26/31.)

For (c), i get [1/10 * 10/62]^8, but that's wrong.

The "!" was not for a factorial; it was just because of my excitement. :)

Could you help me with part (c)?

s3a said:
The "!" was not for a factorial; it was just because of my excitement. :)

Could you help me with part (c)?

The set of all passwords containing at least one integer is equal to the set of ALL passwords minus the set of passwords consisting of only letters. So?

I get 62^8 - 52^8 ~= 1.65E14 passwords containing at least one integer.

s3a said:
I get 62^8 - 52^8 ~= 1.65E14 passwords containing at least one integer.

Now translate that into a probability.

1. What is the purpose of using passwords in a computer system?

The main purpose of using passwords in a computer system is to provide security and restrict access to authorized users. This helps to protect sensitive information and prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing the system.

2. How are passwords generated in a computer system?

Passwords can be generated in various ways, such as randomly generated by the system or chosen by the user. Some systems may also use a combination of both methods for added security.

3. Can passwords be hacked or stolen?

Yes, passwords can be hacked or stolen if they are not strong enough or if they are not properly protected. It is important to choose strong and unique passwords and to keep them confidential to avoid security breaches.

4. How often should passwords be changed?

It is recommended to change passwords regularly, typically every 3-6 months, to prevent unauthorized access to the system. However, the frequency of password changes may vary depending on the level of security needed for the system.

5. Is it safe to store passwords in a computer system?

Storing passwords in a computer system can be safe as long as they are properly encrypted and protected. It is important to use strong encryption methods and regularly update the system's security measures to ensure the safety of stored passwords.