1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a permutation representation

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be the group S_3. Find the permutation representation of S_3. (Note: this gives an isomorphism of S_3 into S_6)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is there only ONE permutation representation, because the question asks for "the" p.r.
    I don't know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2
    For starters, what is a permutation representation?

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It can be shown that every finite group is isomorphic to some group of permutation.

There is an easy way to do that: Write out the operation table for the group. Lable the elements "1", "2", ..., n according to how they are written along the top of the of the table. Now each row of the table is a permutation of 123...n Do you see how to assign each element of the group a corresponding permuation of 12...n?

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4
    I get it know. This is just an exercise using Cayley's Theorem.

6. Oct 27, 2008 #5
    I've written out the elements of S_3:
    {e, (123), (213), (12), (13), (23)}

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're describing. How do I write out the operation table?

7. Oct 28, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "operation table" is a table with the elements of the group horizontally across the top and vertically along the left side. Where a column and row intersect is the product of the two elements. For example, "Klein's four group" with elements e, a, b, c being the identity, has operation group
    [tex]\begin{array}{ccccc} & e & a & b & c \\e & e & a & b & c \\ a & a & e & c & b \\ b & b & e & e & a \\ c & c & b & a & e\end{array}[/tex]
    If we replace "e", "a", "b", and "c" with "1", "2", "3", and "4" respectively that becomes
    [tex]\begin{array}{ccccc} & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\ 1 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\ 2 & 2 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\ 3 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 \\ 4 & 4 & 3 & 2 & 1 \end{array}[/tex]
    The row starting with 1 is "1 2 3 4" so "1" takes 1234 into itself, the identity permutation. The row starting with 2 is "2143" so "2" take 1234 into that, the permutation (12)(34). The row starting with 3 is "3412" so "3" takes 1234 into that, the permutation (13)(24). The row starting with 4 is "4321" so "4" takes 1234 into that, the permutation (14)(23).

The permutation representation of the Klein four group is {e, (12)(34), (13)(24), (14)(23)}.

8. Oct 28, 2008 #7
    I've made the operation table, I don't see how the symmetry will work with 3 elements on top, and 3 elements on the side.

I have that
    1 sends 123-->123
    this is the identity
    2 sends 123-->231
    this is (123)
    3 sends 123-->312
    this is (132)

Did I set up my table correctly?
    Also, I don't see how I would get S_6 from this.

Thank you for your help so far.

9. Oct 29, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

S_3 does not contain 3 elements. It contains 3!= 6 elements- which is why it can be represented as a subgroup of S_6.

10. Oct 29, 2008 #9
    I thought elements of S_3 were the permutations..no? I mean, in any case I did it wrong. So would I need to do it for entries 1 to 6 instead of what I did?

Also, the operation table is ordered sort of like a symmetric matrix, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?