Find a permutation representation

In summary, The group S_3 has 6 elements and can be represented as a subgroup of S_6 using a permutation representation. To find the permutation representation of S_3, one can write out the operation table for the group and label the elements accordingly. This will result in a table with 6 rows and columns. Each row corresponds to a permutation of 123456 and each column corresponds to an element of S_3. The intersection of a row and column will give the product of the two elements, which can be represented as a permutation.
fk378

Homework Statement

Let G be the group S_3. Find the permutation representation of S_3. (Note: this gives an isomorphism of S_3 into S_6)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there only ONE permutation representation, because the question asks for "the" p.r.
I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, what is a permutation representation?

It can be shown that every finite group is isomorphic to some group of permutation.

There is an easy way to do that: Write out the operation table for the group. Lable the elements "1", "2", ..., n according to how they are written along the top of the of the table. Now each row of the table is a permutation of 123...n Do you see how to assign each element of the group a corresponding permuation of 12...n?

I get it know. This is just an exercise using Cayley's Theorem.

HallsofIvy said:
It can be shown that every finite group is isomorphic to some group of permutation.

There is an easy way to do that: Write out the operation table for the group. Lable the elements "1", "2", ..., n according to how they are written along the top of the of the table. Now each row of the table is a permutation of 123...n Do you see how to assign each element of the group a corresponding permuation of 12...n?

I've written out the elements of S_3:
{e, (123), (213), (12), (13), (23)}

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're describing. How do I write out the operation table?

The "operation table" is a table with the elements of the group horizontally across the top and vertically along the left side. Where a column and row intersect is the product of the two elements. For example, "Klein's four group" with elements e, a, b, c being the identity, has operation group
[tex]\begin{array}{ccccc} & e & a & b & c \\e & e & a & b & c \\ a & a & e & c & b \\ b & b & e & e & a \\ c & c & b & a & e\end{array}[/tex]
If we replace "e", "a", "b", and "c" with "1", "2", "3", and "4" respectively that becomes
[tex]\begin{array}{ccccc} & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\ 1 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\ 2 & 2 & 1 & 4 & 3 \\ 3 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 \\ 4 & 4 & 3 & 2 & 1 \end{array}[/tex]
The row starting with 1 is "1 2 3 4" so "1" takes 1234 into itself, the identity permutation. The row starting with 2 is "2143" so "2" take 1234 into that, the permutation (12)(34). The row starting with 3 is "3412" so "3" takes 1234 into that, the permutation (13)(24). The row starting with 4 is "4321" so "4" takes 1234 into that, the permutation (14)(23).

The permutation representation of the Klein four group is {e, (12)(34), (13)(24), (14)(23)}.

I've made the operation table, I don't see how the symmetry will work with 3 elements on top, and 3 elements on the side.

I have that
1 sends 123-->123
this is the identity
2 sends 123-->231
this is (123)
3 sends 123-->312
this is (132)

Did I set up my table correctly?
Also, I don't see how I would get S_6 from this.

Thank you for your help so far.

S_3 does not contain 3 elements. It contains 3!= 6 elements- which is why it can be represented as a subgroup of S_6.

HallsofIvy said:
S_3 does not contain 3 elements. It contains 3!= 6 elements.

I thought elements of S_3 were the permutations..no? I mean, in any case I did it wrong. So would I need to do it for entries 1 to 6 instead of what I did?

Also, the operation table is ordered sort of like a symmetric matrix, right?

What is a permutation representation?

A permutation representation is a mathematical technique used to describe the symmetries of an object or system. It involves representing the elements of a group as permutations of a set, and using these permutations to define the group's actions on the object or system.

How is a permutation representation used in science?

Permutation representations are used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science, to study the symmetries of physical systems and to solve problems involving symmetry. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to find patterns and relationships in data.

What are the benefits of using a permutation representation?

Using a permutation representation allows for a concise and elegant description of the symmetries of an object or system. It also provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems involving symmetry, and can reveal hidden patterns and relationships in data that may not be apparent using other methods.

How do you find a permutation representation for a given system?

To find a permutation representation, you first need to identify the group of symmetries for the system. This can be done by looking at the transformations that leave the system unchanged. Once the group is identified, you can then construct a permutation representation by assigning each element of the group to a permutation of a set.

Are there any limitations to using a permutation representation?

While permutation representations are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They are most effective for systems with a high degree of symmetry, and may not be as useful for systems with more complex or irregular symmetries. Additionally, constructing a permutation representation may be computationally intensive for very large systems.