1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory inner automorphism

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I prove that the inner automorphisms is isomorphic to ##S_3##?

The attempt at a solution

I know ##S_3 = \{f: \{ 1,2,3 \}\to\{ 1,2,3 \}\mid f\text{ is a permutation}\}## and I know for every group there is a map whose center is its kernel so the center of of ##S_3## is trivial therefore ##S_3/Z(S_3) = 6##.

So an inner automorphism of a group ##G## is an automorphism of the form ##ρ_g :x↦gxg^{-1}. ## What I am having trouble with is verifying that distinct elements of ##S_3## give distinct inner automorphism. How can I prove this problem directly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The inner automorphisms of what are supposed to be isomorphic to S3?

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Can you prove that if [itex]\rho_g = \rho_h[/itex] then [itex]g^{-1}h \in Z(G)[/itex]?

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4
    Opps, I forgot to add the inner automorphism of ##S_3## is isomorphic to ##S_3.## Sorry for the confusion!

Pasmith - Can you elaborate please?

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no need to elaborate. pasmith pretty much spelled it out. Try to prove the hint he gave you. Once you've done that figure out what the center of ##S_3## is. It should click easily after that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted