1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Galois Group of extension

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let c be a primitive 3rd root of unity and b be the third real root of four. Now consider the extension Q(c,b):Q. Find the degree of this extension, show that it is Galois, and calculate Gal(Q(c,b):Q) and then use the Galois group to calculate all intermediate fields.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The minimal polynomial of b over Q is x^3-4. The minimal polynomial of c over Q(b) is x^2+x+1. Therefore [Q(c,b):Q]=6.

Char(Q)=0 so the extension is separable. Q(c,b) is a splitting field for x^3-4, thus it is a finite splitting field over Q. Thus the extension Q(c,b):Q is Galois.

I am having a bit of trouble calculating the Galois group. I know there must be a map m such that m(c)=c^2 whilst fixing everything else, and there is a map n such that n(b)=cb whilst fixing everything else. Therefore all the roots of the minimal polynomial of b can be obtained by applying n to b, i.e. n*n(b)=n(cb)=(c^2)b whilst applying n to (c^2)b gives n((c^2)b)=b. The map m will take c to the other root of it's minimal polynomial in Q and then back again, m(c) = c^2 and m(c^2)=(c^2)^2=c^4=c.

So my first (naïve) thought was that this Galois group would be z3 x z2, although I suspected this would be incorrect because there is some overlapping of the maps (since m takes b to a root that is now effected by the map n). I showed that m*n(b+c+c^2) does not equal n*m(b+c+c^2) and thus this group is not abelian. I know the order of the group must be 6 because that is the degree of the extension (which is Galois) and I know that the group is non abelian.

Non abelian groups of order 6... S_3, D_3, maybe some SDP Z3xZ2. Perhaps the group must be S_3 because it contains a 3-cycle (the map m) and a transposition (the map n).

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I believe the Galois group will be S_3. if this turns out to be true, then I will then need to find all subgroups of S_3 and then go through the gritty business of using the subgroups of the Galois group to find the intermediate fields. Subgroups of S_3 will be A_3, which is all elements of S_3 that can be expressed as an even number of transpositions and A_3 will have order 3, thus it will be cyclic of order 3. S_3 also has a subgroup generated by the transposition that is one of the two generators for S_3, in this case the map n. Thus <n> will be a subgroup of S_3 of order 2. So I believe that <n> and A_3 are the only two proper subgroups of S_3.

I'll leave it at this for now and have somebody check my work, for all I know the Galois group isn't even S_3, and if it is I'm not sure if it only has 2 proper subgroups.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Maybe I missed the point somewhere, because I don't get intermediate fields. But why isn't ##c## in the splitting field of ##b##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted