1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a point on the axis of a parabola

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that on the axis of any parabola [tex]y^2 = 4ax[/tex] there is a certain point K which has the property that,if a chord PQ of the parabola be drawn through it ,then [tex]\frac{1}{PK^2} + \frac{1}{QK^2}[/tex] is same for all positions of the chord.Find aslo the coordinates of the point K

2. Relevant equations

We can apply the parametric equations of a parabola.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the points P and Q be [tex](at_{1}^2,2at_{1}) and (at_{2}^2,2at_{2})[/tex]

So the equation of the chord would be [tex]y(t_{1} + t_{2}) = 2x + 2at_{1}t_{2}[/tex]

Hence from there we have that the points of K are [tex](-at_{1}t_{2},0)[/tex]

Now our aim is to show that [tex]\frac{1}{PK^2} + \frac{1}{QK^2}[/tex] is independent of [tex]t_{1} and t_2{}[/tex]. I tried and applied the distance formula but no benefit.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The theorem says that there exists such a point K. What are the conditions on K that will make [tex]\frac{1}{PK^2} + \frac{1}{QK^2}[/tex] independent of t1 and t2?

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    Yes they are saying that there exists such a point that [tex]\frac{1}{PK^2} + \frac{1}{QK^2}[/tex] is same for all positions of that point and we have to prove this.

5. Jan 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My point was that you said:

without any conditions on K. You are not asked to show that but rather find the single point K for which that is true.

6. Jan 29, 2008 #5
    Agreed. But we also have to prove that. The question says "Prove that on the axis of any parabola ...........coordinates of the point K.

And lets forget about that for a minute, i have shown that the coordinates of the point k would be [tex](-at_{1}t_{2},0)[/tex].

So that is done.

But when it comes to proving,i am completely at sea.

But i think we can consider that chord to be a normal at the point P. If we do so we can get the equation of the normal as

[tex] y = -t_{1}x + 2at_{1} + at_{1}^3 [/tex] and at the same time we can also consider the equation of the tangent passing through P and than we can consider a tangent at Q which will intersect the tangent at P and then we MAY get some relation.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?