Proving Locus of Middle Points of Chords on Parabola

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


Prove that the locus of middle points of all chords of the parabola ##y^2=4ax## which are drawn through the vertex is the parabola ##y^2=2ax##.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The mid-point of the line joining the vertex and a point ##(h,2\sqrt{ah})## on parabola is ##(h/2,\sqrt{ah})## but what am I supposed to do with this? :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement


Prove that the locus of middle points of all chords of the parabola ##y^2=4ax## which are drawn through the vertex is the parabola ##y^2=2ax##.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The mid-point of the line joining the vertex and a point ##(h,2\sqrt{ah})## on parabola is ##(h/2,\sqrt{ah})## but what am I supposed to do with this? :confused:

You have ##x=h/2## and ##y=\sqrt{ah}##. Eliminate h?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
I like Serena said:
You have ##x=h/2## and ##y=\sqrt{ah}##. Eliminate h?

Woops, I was trying this question from the last night and I couldn't even notice that. Very foolish of me. :redface:

Thank you ILS! :smile: