1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a unit normal to the plane containing a and b

1. May 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a unit normal to the plane containing a and b. a=(3;-1; 2) and b=(1; 3;-2)

2. Relevant equations
    \frac{V}{|V|} where V = a+b

3. The attempt at a solution
    (3;-1; 2) +1; 3;-2)=(4,2,0)=V
    |V| = \sqrt{4^2+2^} = 2\sqrt{5}

there fore the unit vector is (\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}} \widehat{i}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{5} \widehat{j} )

but this looks like a very messy answer i am therefore not convinced i have done it right, if some one could give me some guidance that would be very much appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2
    ah ok i thought one could enter latex code here...

4. May 25, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What plane? Two points determine a line. There are an infinite number of planes containing a given line so an infinite number of planes containing two given points.

You have added the two given points. For one thing what do you mean by "adding points"? Or are you adding the position vectors of the two points? Are you given that the origin is also in this plane? But even in that case the sum of the two position vectors would be another vector in that same plane. Frankly, you seem to have completely misunderstood and misread this problem! Please reread it and then restate it here.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  5. May 25, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can- but you have to do it correctly!
    1) Begin and end with [ tex ] and [ /tex ] (without the spaces) [tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \sqrt{\pi}[/tex]
    2) Begin and end with [ itex ] and [ /itex] in order to keep it "in line" (again without the spaces) [itex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \sqrt{\pi}[/itex]
    3) Begin and end with "# #" (without the space) ##\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \sqrt{\pi}##

6. May 25, 2015 #5
    Just chipping in - you can also place a double dollar sign (i.e. $ ) before and after the content that you want to display in latex. (It won't appear in line if you use dollar sign, just like when you use [ tex] .)

7. May 27, 2015 #6
    Hi,
    Thanks for that!

I was using the wrong equation, i should have used $$ \frac{a X b}{|aXB|} $$

8. May 28, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So presumably the task was to find a unit normal to the plane containing a, b and the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted