Finding the value of lambda so that two lines are parallel

In summary: It was (almost) fine up to here:##\hat {PR} = \frac{-3\hat i + 6\hat j - 2\hat k}{\sqrt{49}} = \frac{2\hat i - 4\hat j + \lambda \hat k}{\sqrt{20 + \lambda^2}}##What went wrong after that is that squaring both sides is equivalent to insisting that both vectors have the same length - but you'd already made them unit vectors, so that was true independent of ##\lambda##.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am try to understand how they the solution got their answer as my method is not giving the correct answer.
Relevant Equations
##\textbf {PR} = -3\hat i + 6\hat j - 2\hat k##

##\textbf {RS} = 2\hat i - 4\hat j + \lambda \hat k##
For this (ii),
1681245369416.png

The solution is ##\lambda = \frac{4}{3}##, however when I tried solving the problem I did not get their answer. Dose somebody please guide me to their solution and tell me what I did wrong with my method below:

##\hat {PR} = \frac{\textbf {PR}}{|PR|} = \hat {RS} = \frac{\textbf {RS}}{|RS|}##
##\hat {PR} = \frac{-3\hat i + 6\hat j - 2\hat k}{\sqrt{49}} = \frac{2\hat i - 4\hat j + \lambda \hat k}{\sqrt{20 + \lambda^2}}##

Then square both sides (which I think we then use the scalar product) giving:
##\frac{9 + 36 + 4}{49} = \frac{4 + 16 + \lambda^2}{20 + \lambda^2}##
##\frac{49}{49} = \frac{20 + \lambda^2}{20 + \lambda^2}##
##1 = 1##

Many thanks!

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found that the length of a unit vector is 1 (twice).
How do you show that two vectors are parallel?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
You found that the length of a unit vector is 1 (twice).
How do you show that two vectors are parallel?
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous!

The two vectors should be parallel if they are multiples of each other by some constant.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
The two vectors should be parallel if they are multiples of each other by some constant.
Don’t normalize the vectors. Find the constant for each component. They should all be equal.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Frabjous said:
Don’t normalize the vectors. Find the constant for each component. They should all be equal.
Thank you for your reply @Frabjous!

I have gotten the correct solution :) However, I am wondering why my first method did not work. Is it because there is no other way of solving for lambda without squaring both sides which makes the numerator equal to the denominator for each unit vector.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
I have gotten the correct solution :) However, I am wondering why my first method did not work. Is it because there is no other way of solving for lambda without squaring both sides which makes the numerator equal to the denominator for each unit vector.
As already noted, you absolutely don't need to generate unit vectors. You did a lot of work for no noticeable gain.

ChiralSuperfields said:
Another point that was already noted is that for two vectors to be parallel (or antiparallel -- pointing in opposite directions), each one must be a nonzero scalar multiple of the other.
For the vectors above one can determine by nothing more than inspection that the scalar multiple must be -3/2. So ##-2 = -3/2 \times \lambda##, or ##\lambda = (-2)(-2/3) = 4/3##.
ChiralSuperfields said:
The solution is
##\lambda = \frac{4}{3}##, however when I tried solving the problem I did not get their answer. Dose somebody please guide me to their solution and tell me what I did wrong with my method below:

You don't need to do any of the stuff below.
ChiralSuperfields said:
##\hat {PR} = \frac{\textbf {PR}}{|PR|} = \hat {RS} = \frac{\textbf {RS}}{|RS|}##
##\hat {PR} = \frac{-3\hat i + 6\hat j - 2\hat k}{\sqrt{49}} = \frac{2\hat i - 4\hat j + \lambda \hat k}{\sqrt{20 + \lambda^2}}##

Then square both sides (which I think we then use the scalar product) giving:
##\frac{9 + 36 + 4}{49} = \frac{4 + 16 + \lambda^2}{20 + \lambda^2}##
##\frac{49}{49} = \frac{20 + \lambda^2}{20 + \lambda^2}##
##1 = 1##
Aside from the fact that the above work is not useful, it's even less useful to end up with an equation that is trivially true; i.e., that 1 is equal to itself.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Is it because there is no other way of solving for lambda without squaring both sides which makes the numerator equal to the denominator for each unit vector.
It was (almost) fine up to here:
ChiralSuperfields said:
What went wrong after that is that squaring both sides is equivalent to insisting that both vectors have the same length - but you'd already made them unit vectors, so that was true independent of ##\lambda##.

You could have compared the coefficients of ##\hat i##, which would hopefully have flagged to you why I wrote "almost", which is that ##\hat{PR}=-\hat{RS}## because they point in opposite directions. Or you could have required that ##\hat{PR}\cdot\hat{RS}=\pm 1##. Either is more work than the method already mentioned of noting that for parallel vectors the coefficients of the basis vectors need to be in the same ratio, so ##\frac{-3}2=\frac 6{-4}=\frac{-2}\lambda##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is the definition of lambda in the context of finding parallel lines?

Lambda, denoted as λ, is a constant or parameter used to represent the slope of a line in the slope-intercept form of a linear equation (y = mx + b). In the context of finding parallel lines, lambda is used to determine the slope of one line that is parallel to another line.

2. How do I find the value of lambda for parallel lines?

To find the value of lambda for parallel lines, you need to compare the slopes of the two lines. If the slopes are equal, then the lines are parallel and lambda will have the same value for both lines. You can also use the slope formula (m = Δy/Δx) to calculate the slope of a line and then equate it to lambda to find its value.

3. Can lambda be negative or zero for parallel lines?

Yes, lambda can be negative or zero for parallel lines. The sign of lambda does not affect the parallelism of two lines. It only represents the direction and steepness of the line.

4. What happens if the value of lambda is different for two lines?

If the value of lambda is different for two lines, then the lines are not parallel. The difference in the values of lambda indicates that the slopes of the lines are not equal, and therefore, the lines will intersect at some point.

5. Is finding the value of lambda the only way to determine if two lines are parallel?

No, finding the value of lambda is not the only way to determine if two lines are parallel. You can also compare the equations of the two lines to see if they have the same slope, or you can graph the lines and see if they are parallel. Additionally, if the lines are parallel, they will never intersect, so you can also check for intersection points to determine if the lines are parallel.