Find Absolute Extrema on a Closed Interval

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the absolute max and min of a given function on a closed interval. It includes a student's attempt at solving the problem and a discussion about critical points and the unit circle. The conversation concludes with the student expressing gratitude for the help and acknowledging that they will continue to research and understand the unit circle.
Johnnycab

Homework Statement

Find the absolute max and min of h(x) = cos(2x) - 2sinx in the closed interval [(pie)/2, 2pie]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got
h(x) = cos(2x) - 2sinx
h'(x) = -sin(2x)*2 - 2cosx <---chain rule i did :rofl:

0=-2sin(2x) - 2cosx
0=[-2sin(2x)/-2] - [2cosx/-2] i divided both sides by -2
0=2sinxcosx+cosx
0=cosx(2sinx+1) <---- factored out cosx

cosx = 0

and 2sinx+1 = (-1/2)

The critical numbers i found out where 0, and -0.5

I don't know if I am right or wrong

The book said the critical numbers are at [3(pie)/2], [7(pie)/2], and [11(pie)/2]
^--- i don't know how the book got those answers, can u help me out please
i understand that all the critical numbers are zero

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The critical points are where the derivative is zero, and you correctly found these occur where cosx=0 or 2sinx+1=0 (sinx=-1/2) (which you probably meant for the second one). So where are these points? Then compare the values at these critical points and at the endpoints, and the largest/smallest of these is the max/min on the interval.

You've calculated the expression correctly, and identified that one solution is cosx=0. However, your other solution is incorrect.. it should be 2sinx+1=0.

Your critcal values are incorrect. The second one is incorrect because you had the sin eqn wrong. However, for the first equation, consider the interval that you give in the question. Is 0 in this integral?

Incidentally, have you written down the critical values obtained from the book incorrectly?

EDIT: sorry, the above post wasn't there when I viewed!

Then how did the book get the three points

[3(pie)/2], [7(pie)/2], and [11(pie)/2] <--- critical points that equal zero

i understand the process of which i got what i got, but then these 3 points came outta right field, any help please?

Because they have cosx=0.

so cosx always equals those points on a closed interval, with sin? Always?

Last edited:
Please rephrase that so it makes sense.

StatusX said:

so because i got

cosx=0 the critical numbers are at these points
[3(pie)/2], [7(pie)/2], and [11(pie)/2]

^-- but why?:yuck:

is there a chart r table that i can reference from to say that when you get cosx = 0 or whatever else, your points will be at here etc

sorry if I am not being clear, its just that the book showed no operations for getting

[3(pie)/2], [7(pie)/2], and [11(pie)/2]

^-- cause later on for other parts of the questions i need these numbers, but if i don't know where they came from then well you know

Last edited:
StatusX said:

Are we not looking for x in the interval (pi/2,2pi) (presumably open, since pi/2 is not given by the book as one of the answers!)?

That's why I asked if the other critical values were copied down incorrectly. Should they not be 7pi/12 and 11pi/12 (corresponding to the solutions of sinx=-1/2 in this region.)

and 2sinx+1 = (-1/2)

meant to equal

sinx = -(1/2) yes i did copy it down incorrectly, sorry

where can i find these fields you talk of?

Johnnycab said:
where can i find these fields you talk of?

What do you mean by fields?

To solve the equation sinx=-1/2, consider first the solutions to sinx=1/2. To solve this, consider an equilateral triangle, of side 2. If you draw a line down the centre you will have a right angled triangle of sides 1, 2 and sqrt3.

Now, can you find one answer to sinx=1/2? When you have this, sketch the graph of sinx. This should help you find soltions to the required equation (sinx=-1/2) in the given interval

There are some values of sin and cos you should just remember. Like cos(pi/2)=0, and sin(pi/6)=1/2. Also remember the formulas for sin(x+2pi), sin(pi-x). And yes, if you're restricting to the range [pi/2,2pi], then, of the book's answers, only 3pi/2 is in this range (though this isn't the only critical point).

so if i got (-1/2) the critical points would be at 7(pi)/6 and 11(pi)/6

So for example if got (1/2) as my final answer, my critical points would be at (pi)/6, and
5(pi)/6?

am i right?

Also too are there 6 different circles for the 6 different trig functions?

thanks

sorry I am a idiot

Last edited:
Johnnycab said:
so if i got (-1/2) the critical points would be at 7(pi)/6 and 11(pi)/6

So for example if got (1/2) as my final answer, my critical points would be at (pi)/6, and
5(pi)/6?

am i right?

Also too are there 6 different circles for the 6 different trig functions?

thanks

sorry I am a idiot

Is it really so difficult for you to write what you mean?
"So for example if got (1/2) as my final answer, my critical points would be at (pi)/6, and 5(pi)/6?"
Your final answer? I assume you mean "if sin(x)= 1/2 then x= pi/6 or x= pi- pi/6= 5pi/6". Yes, that is true.

I have no idea what you mean by "6 different circles". In the "circle" definition of trig functions (often called "circular functions" when that definition is used), we are given the unit circle in an xy-coordinate system. For any t>= 0, start at the point (1, 0) and measure, counterclockwisem, around the circle a distance t. The coordinates of the resulting point are, by definition, (cos(t), sin(t)). (If t< 0, measure clockwise.) You can then define tan(t)= sin(t)/cos(t), cot(t)= cos(t)/sin(t), sec(t)= 1/cos(t), and csc(t)= 1/tan(t). No, you don't need "6 different circles"!

omg sorry, i just wanted to find were the critical points were, but at the time i wasnt familiar with the unit circle all that much

but now I am on the right track thanks to you guys, sorry if i didnt make sense i really didnt understand the 3(pi)/2 or at least didnt know what they meant but now i do

i will continue to research the unit circle and i will master it

thank you for you help o:)

P.S. - sorry

1. What is the definition of absolute extrema?

Absolute extrema refer to the highest and lowest values of a function on a given interval. These values are also known as the global maximum and minimum.

2. How do you find the absolute extrema of a function on a closed interval?

To find the absolute extrema on a closed interval, you must first find the critical points of the function within that interval. Then, evaluate the function at each critical point and at the endpoints of the interval to determine the absolute extrema.

3. Can a function have more than one absolute extrema on a closed interval?

Yes, a function can have multiple absolute extrema on a closed interval. This can occur when the function has a horizontal tangent line at a critical point, resulting in both a local minimum and a local maximum.

4. What is the difference between local and absolute extrema?

Local extrema refer to the highest and lowest values of a function in a small neighborhood around a specific point. Absolute extrema, on the other hand, refer to the highest and lowest values of a function on a given interval, without any restrictions on the neighborhood around a point.

5. Are there any shortcuts or techniques for finding absolute extrema on a closed interval?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and techniques that can make finding absolute extrema easier. These include using the First and Second Derivative Tests, as well as considering the symmetry and end behavior of the function. However, it is important to understand and be able to apply the fundamental method of finding critical points and evaluating the function to determine the absolute extrema.