Find Acceleration At Time t For Mass on a Spring

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of acceleration of a mass oscillating on a spring with a period of 4.35 s at t = 1.30 s. The formula for oscillatory acceleration is a(t) = -Aω^2cos(ωt - ∅). By using the values given, the correct answer is 0.6798 m/s^2. The mistake in the attempt at a solution was using the incorrect value of 3025 instead of 3.25 for A.
Becca93
Homework Statement
A mass is oscillating on a spring with a period of 4.35 s. At t = 0 the mass has zero speed and is at x = 3.25 cm. What is the magnitude of the acceleration at t = 1.30 s?

The attempt at a solution

The formula for oscillatory acceleration is
a(t) = -Aω^2cos(ωt - ∅)
a(x) = -(ω^2)x

ω = 2pi/period, which is 2pi/4.35

So,

a(t) = -(2pi/4.35)(3025cos((2pi/4.35)(1.30)))
a(t) = 0.6798 m/s^2

This isn't the correct answer.

The question states that it starts at t= 0 at x=3.25, so I took that to be A. Is that my problem? Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your arithmetic. I assume 3025 is actually 3.25. Secondly, you are not evaluating the formula you cite.

Becca93 said:
ω = 2pi/period, which is 2pi/4.35
OK.
So,

a(t) = -(2pi/4.35)(3025cos((2pi/4.35)(1.30)))
Redo this.
The question states that it starts at t= 0 at x=3.25, so I took that to be A. Is that my problem?
That makes sense to me. (Be sure to use standard units for distance.)

I have the answer now. Thank you!

I would first check to see if the given values are consistent with the formula being used. In this case, the period of 4.35 s and the amplitude of 3.25 cm are not consistent with the formula for oscillatory acceleration. The formula you have used is for simple harmonic motion, where the amplitude is equal to the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. However, in this problem, the amplitude is given as 3.25 cm but the maximum displacement is not mentioned, so it is not clear if the mass is starting from its equilibrium position or not.

Assuming that the mass is starting from its equilibrium position at t=0, the correct formula to use would be a(t) = -(ω^2)x, where x is the displacement at time t. In this case, the displacement at t=1.30 s would be 3.25 cm, so the acceleration would be:

a(t) = -(2pi/4.35)^2(3.25 cm) = -5.91 m/s^2

This is a negative value because the mass is moving towards its equilibrium position at t=1.30 s.

In conclusion, the incorrect value obtained in the attempt at a solution was due to using an incorrect formula for the given scenario. It is important to carefully check the given values and make sure they are consistent with the formula being used.

1. What is acceleration for a mass on a spring?

The acceleration for a mass on a spring is the rate of change of the velocity of the mass as it oscillates back and forth on the spring. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you find acceleration at a specific time for a mass on a spring?

To find acceleration at a specific time for a mass on a spring, you can use the equation a = -ω²x, where a is acceleration, ω is the angular frequency of the oscillation, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position at that time.

3. How does the mass affect the acceleration of a spring?

The mass on a spring affects its acceleration by changing the inertia of the system. The greater the mass, the greater the inertia, and therefore the slower the acceleration. This means that a heavier mass on the same spring will have a lower acceleration compared to a lighter mass.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of a mass on a spring?

There are a few factors that can affect the acceleration of a mass on a spring. These include the mass of the object, the spring constant (k), and the initial displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. The acceleration will also vary depending on the specific time at which it is measured.

5. How does the spring constant affect the acceleration of a mass?

The spring constant (k) affects the acceleration of a mass on a spring by determining how stiff or flexible the spring is. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will result in a higher acceleration for a given mass. Conversely, a lower spring constant will result in a lower acceleration for the same mass.