1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find acceleration of this system with friction

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Body A weighs 102 N, Body B weighs 32 N. The coefficeints of friction between A and the incline are .56 for static, .25 for kinetic. Angle is 40 degrees. Find the acceleration of the system when block A is at rest... when it is moving up the incline, and when it is moving down the incline.

(Block A is on the ramp attached to a string that goes up to the top of the ramp, down a pulley that attaches block B)

2. Relevant equations
    Ff=Fnormal(coefficient of friction)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have done problems just the same as this very recently, but for some reason, I cannot think of how to get the tension in the string/rope. I dont know why, but it just seems to be escaping me, and after getting T, the rest of the problem is already solved. I have the friction, equal to mgy multiped by the coefficient. So the acceleration would be the T-friction, all divided by the mass of the system.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2
    Re: Tension/pulley

You have three cases - block A at rest, moving up, and moving down.

Each will have a different free body diagram. You'll need to treat each case separately, rather than trying to lump them together with the same equations.
  4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Re: Tension/pulley

hey heth,
    Yeah i just stared at this for some reason and didn't even think about it.
    I took a little break and revisited it and got something that looked like this...
    (just for A not in motion)

so mgax+ff-T=T-mgb

solved for T

then take this tension find the unbalanced force, and divide it by the systems mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?