1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find amount of water at 20 degrees to melt 100 g ice

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1

vtl

This an extra voluntary question on a physics assignment I've already handed in. But I still want to try and figure it out so here goes:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is what I'm told: "You take 100 g ice cubes from the freezer. The ice cubes' temperature is -18°C." The specific heat capacity of ice is 2,0 kJ/kg*K.

And then asked: "How big an amount of water at 20°C is required to melt the ice cubes from the freezer?"

2. Relevant equations
    Qwater = cmΔT
    Qice = mL

cwater*mwater*∆Twater+mice*Lmelt+cwater*mice*∆Tice=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assume I need to find L, because in the examples in the book the L's used are for materials at either 0°C or 100°C, which I've isolated:

-Lmelt=(cwater*mwater*∆Twater)/(-mis )+(cwater*mice*∆Tice)/(-mice )

The problem is that I also don't know mwater because that's what the problem asks me to find. Will any amount of 20°C hot water melt the ice cubes eventually or something?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't mention the water temperature in the problem statement. That's needed. You mention 20C later - is that given, or a number out of the air?
    What temperature do you think the ice will be at just before it melts?

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3

vtl

That's because there are three questions attached to the problem statement. 20 degrees is the temperature of the water you use to melt the ice.

0 and 100 degrees is not related to the temperature of the ice, but of the water used to melt the ice.

Edit: forgot to mention the 20 degrees when I translated the problem.

5. Nov 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then I don't understand what that has to do with L. You wrote
    L stands for latent heat, right? The latent heat of fusion of ice is nothing to do with the temperature of the water used to melt it. It's a constant which you can just plug in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted